Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitors and acoustic treatment (again)

Options
  • 31-12-2010 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Howdy ho.

Here's a bit of background info. I like to demo stuff at home before I bring it to the other two dudes I play with. I basically play all the parts, produce it and mix it to the best of my ability so I have an idea what the finished product will sound like before jamming it out and letting the (adept) rhythm section do their thang. Then we'll bring it to a proper studio to record etc. I like to have a good idea of what needs to be done production wise and also enjoy the production/mixing end of things, though I'm not so great at that.

Here's the deal. I don't have much money, and being a broke musician what little money I do have (and believe me, it's pretty much nothing) must go towards other gear (amps, cases etc), food, rent and bills and, ahem, other outstanding debts acquired through being a musician. There's a backlog of crap I need to get/pay for, in essence.

Here's the thing though. Working the way that I do requires me to have at least a half decent set up. I have a decent interface (firepod) and use Nuendo. I'm renting a gaff and have a room I use as a studio, which is a converted garage. I'm using the worst possible speakers as monitors and it's really hard to mix now.

So I need to treat the room first and foremost. The bass in the room at the moment is unbelievably brutal. There's particular frequencies, around 100-200 and below, that cause this horrible resonance. I've read about bass traps. Are floor to ceiling the best option? Is it possible to make them for just the corners?

Secondly, monitors. I need a pair that are good enough. Bear in mind that anything I'll be doing will never be for release and only for demo purposes. That's not to say I don't get anal and obsessive about the mixing, because I do. And if I had the money I'd spend it on a good set of monitors. But I don't. So I'm looking for a set of (preferably way) sub 300 euro monitors that are good enough for my needs ie, will allow me to mix to an acceptable level.

I have a bit of money after xmas that will go towards some new gear, monitors included. There is no way that I'll be able to save up and buy a better set than my current means allow as the longer I wait the more the money will trickle away. So I need to strike while the imaginary iron is hot.

Any helpful input will be welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

Right,
    Re Monitors - At that sub €300 if your looking for something reasonable your most likely in the second hand market. That shouldn't be a problem once you make sure to audition any secong hand monitors - there's usually a reason why they're up for sale once it not damaged drivers or stretched voice coils etc...
    Makes like Mackie,Tannoy,Yamaha,Event etc all have models which break to price/quality ratio in the consumers favour.
    Re room acoustics -
    Firstly without spending a penny look around for somethings that will help in your room ie Cd racks, bookshelves, plants, any uneven surface for DIFFUSION.

Absorbtion - Firstly bass trapping is better placed in corners thats were the low end energy tends to be at its most. Floor to ceiling is mostly used because of saving room real estate.
    Sofas,wardrobes full with clothes and doors left open,heavy matresses - you get the point, general rule more mass more low end absorbtion especially if they are placed in the corner.
    On a budget - Buy rockwool RW3 1200x600 wrap in cheap fabrics place in corner. I have some home made examples in the studio if you want to have a look just give me a call. Rockwool comes in different thicknesses the thicker the better but costs will rise - a small compromise would be to buy 70ml instead of 90,120 thick and leave out from the wall. This air pockett increases absorbtion performance.
    There are absorbtion/diffussion panels again on the second hand market always worth a look at. Faom doesn't stop working.
    Its a big discussion so I'll leave it at that , the points above are based on budget principle.
    -Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Cheers Declan.

Re: diffusion, the room is pretty much bare bar for the table, keyboards, amp and other gear lying about like guitar cases etc. Nothing really over shoulder height when sitting down.

For absorption, I think I'll stick up some pics so you can get an idea of the room for any tips. I'll do it as soon as my camera is charged.

But when you say about the rockwool in the corners, do you mean to cut it into triangle and lay them on top of each other? What sort of height would I need to go up to? How would I go about hanging them at the top corners?

If I was going second hand, where would I get the stuff? I've looked at ebay and it all seems to be new stuff, and it costs if not a bomb then well outside my means.

Cheers for info on monitors too. Again, ebay didn't really turn up many results. I have my eye on some Tannoy Precision 6s or Reveal 501As. Are they alright, or is there better for my budget? Again, the more I can save on monitors, the more I can put into treatment...

Thanks for your help, and happy new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

Hi Pinksoir,

Re Rookwool - cutting the rookwool into wedge shapes and stacking would work very well but costly what I was suggesting is taking the rockwool Panels as supplied (Flat)and placing them into a corner leaving a triangle wedge of empty space. This space as mention before also helps the absorbtion. Think of the sound being absorbed on the way in traveling through the air wedge and bouncing back through the rockwool again. It's a way of getting the best out of the rockwool.
    Re monitors ADVERTS.ie is great for picking up second hand monitors, also check with local suppliers for demo models or showroom you'll be surprised on how many deals are out there. ie Big Bear, Audio Wharehouse, Sonic solutions, X-music to name a few.
    I have used Tannoys and was always impressed with their quality for the price ,I have used most of their models through out the years as secondary and main monitors - no problems- slightly hi-fi ish but that can be a good thing ,After all most mix's will end up a hi fi boom boxs!!
    - Declan

Advertisement