Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitarist/Singer looking to start band, WATERFORD

Options
  • 31-12-2010 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Im 27. I play guitar/sing and write some songs. From Waterford.

Looking to do mostly originals but would also like to throw a few covers just to have.

Below are my influences but im up for trying anything. Maybe try do something a bit different.

My influences are queens of the stone age, and so i watch you from afar, jeff buckley, melvins, the cure, nirvana, pixies, joy division, the doors, biffy clyro, sex pistols.

Also like pantera, cage the elephant, the beatles, the police, syd barrett, placebo, Them crooked vultures, jefferson airplane, down, metallica.

If yer into similar music and like to meet up, let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sydsad

bump

bump

bump

bump

bump

• Advertisement

bump

Come on lads.

Getting withdrawal here haha

bump

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭alphasounds

We give it a go
    We playing together a few weeks and trying to do the progressive rock
    stuff.

We give it a go
    We playing together a few weeks and trying to do the progressive rock
    stuff.

Cool,

what kinda stuff are ye into yerselves? Whos in the band with ye/what ye play? How old? Doesnt really matter once over 18. :)

Im writing a fair bit myself. Loads of bits of songs...riffs and the like. Few finished ones also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭r.duke

hey, i live in west waterford, i play guitar/bass, many years exp.
    moved here from brooklyn couple years back, looking to get back into playin again, want to do mostly originals. im open to most styles,
    some influences/direction would be-Pavement, yeah yeah yeahs, QOTSA, interpol, hendrix, floyd, tom waits, velvet underground, janes addiction etc etc.....looking to put some serious time/effort into this. let me know if u are still looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭alphasounds

I was playing with the drummer for a while to do a motorhead tribute bud we didn't find a Fast Eddy.
    We play now with a very good guitar player and cover a few songs like dogmann - king'sX, Foo fighter -pretender, Live wire -bon scott and No class- Motorhead for a start. Originals are good i have some originals also in wait when the band fuses proper.
    I can do a nice Bon scott / lemmy voice but struggle with clear high pitch.
    We have all good timing.
    We were thinking of a Bon scott tribute too this could be also interresting for r.duke.
    How bout a session or a coffee first ?

hey thanks guys, but im not really looking to go the whole tribute way, i like doing the odd cover once in a while but i am looking to start an all original band, new material etc. if you know anyone else interested pass on my details and i will do the same for you guys if i know anyone looking for what you guys want. good luck.

I was playing with the drummer for a while to do a motorhead tribute bud we didn't find a Fast Eddy.
    We play now with a very good guitar player and cover a few songs like dogmann - king'sX, Foo fighter -pretender, Live wire -bon scott and No class- Motorhead for a start. Originals are good i have some originals also in wait when the band fuses proper.
    I can do a nice Bon scott / lemmy voice but struggle with clear high pitch.
    We have all good timing.
    We were thinking of a Bon scott tribute too this could be also interresting for r.duke.
    How bout a session or a coffee first ?

I have to say a cover band wouldnt interest me. Writing a load of little pieces here and there as well as a few finished songs at the mo so im dying to get them out and see what i can work out with other people.

If ya were up for that then that would be cool.

r.duke wrote: »
    hey thanks guys, but im not really looking to go the whole tribute way, i like doing the odd cover once in a while but i am looking to start an all original band, new material etc. if you know anyone else interested pass on my details and i will do the same for you guys if i know anyone looking for what you guys want. good luck.

Hey man,

Where do you exactly live? If its not a problem, we could sort something out. :)

bump

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

theres an awful lot of bumping goin on. in my opinion i dont theres amny places around the south east for original bands to be heard. i think you best bet would be to start a covers band and throw in 4 or 5 different original songs a night. then, if the songs are good enough, people will be askin you to play your own stuff and eventually you will be playing your own set.

thanks for your opinion but i think its BS, musicians who want to plot along playing other peoples music every weekend to pubs full of people who couldnt care less if there was a cat coughing up a hairball into the microphone, thats fine, if it makes u cash, and your having fun, great, go for it.(i've done it). if you have original music that matters and you put in the work and get the right breaks it doesnt mean sht that "there isnt any place in the SE to play original music!" when has living out in the boonies/away from major cities etc stopped any great band from making an impact? how many groups crawled out of no name towns to kick serious ass? i could name dozens! playin it safe is a dead end, music is about taking REAL chances, its just a shame too many people are afraid to take the leap(hence the constant bumping!) pick a side and go for it.

tom thum wrote: »
    theres an awful lot of bumping goin on. in my opinion i dont theres amny places around the south east for original bands to be heard. i think you best bet would be to start a covers band and throw in 4 or 5 different original songs a night. then, if the songs are good enough, people will be askin you to play your own stuff and eventually you will be playing your own set.

Well there are a bunch of cover bands playing around atm all playing the same songs. Fair play to em if thats what they want to do. I might do that when im in my mid 30s or something. People only want to hear the same stuff in the background. And most pubs have there cover band they stick with. There are a few places in waterford to play nevermind the south east for original bands. Murphys and the kings are the main places really. And they pay. Now that electric avenue is gone, these seem to be doing well. And also you have Alex from ruby studios trying to help out bands also with recording and promotion/getting gigs and the like.

A few places to play in cork as well and iv played in a few places in dublin in other bands. Its just a matter of getting people who are dedicated. Its much more fun in an original band.

I still have a hunger to do original stuff and im writing all the time so why not?

Advertisement