Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Di Resta vs Hulk - chances of an F1 drive?

Options
  • 31-12-2010 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Force India are dragging their heels announcing next years driver line-up. Sutil is a certainty and Merc were plugging heavily for Paul Di Resta earlier on in the year. But now Hulkenburg is available...

Both deserve a place in F1 but Di Resta is a very exciting prospect I think. Beat Vettel in the same car in lower formulae (F3 I think).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Well one of them is going to lose out, the only other seats still available are Torro Rosso and HRT!

Driver line-up - Formula 1 2011:

Red Bull Racing

1. Sebastian Vettel
    2. Mark Webber

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes

3. Jenson Button
    4. Lewis Hamilton

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro

5. Fernando Alonso
    6. Felipe Massa

Mercedes GP Petronas F1 Team

7. Michael Schumacher
    8. Nico Rosberg

Lotus Renault GP

9. Robert Kubica
    10. Vitaly Petrov

AT&T Williams

11. Rubens Barrichello
    12. Pastor Maldonado

Force India F1 Team

14. TBA
    15. TBA

Sauber F1 Team

16. Kamui Kobayashi
    17. Sergio Pérez

Scuderia Toro Rosso

18. TBA
    19. TBA

Team Lotus

20. Jarno Trulli
    21. Heikki Kovalainen

HRT F1 Team

22. TBA
    23. TBA

Marussia Virgin Racing

24. Timo Glock
    25. Jérôme d’Ambrosio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Di Resta's been doing Friday tests for years so he'd be a great developer of a car, sort of like Button or Barrichello.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

PJTierney wrote: »
    Di Resta's been doing Friday tests for years so he'd be a great developer of a car, sort of like Button or Barrichello.

He only did Friday tests this season. He did some testing for McLaren in previous years but not much. Hulkenberg would have a considerably greater amount of mileage under his belt. There's no reason to think that as a development driver that Di Resta would have an advantage over Hulkenberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

If it was my team I would take the Hulk.
    Di Resta does have a lot of potential and as has been said he did beat Vettel in F3 in 2006 but there has been so many drivers with massive potential who have done very well in lower series that just haven't been able to cut it in F1, the Hulk has already proved that he can score points in F1 and will have an extra season of experience over Di resta.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,337 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Id probably go with Hulkenberg, he got his act together towards the end of the season, and it was a tad unfair that he was given the boot from Williams.

Its tough for Force India to choose, Di Resta has obvious connections with Mercedes in DTM, and Hulkenberg is German, so not so clear cut really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Hulkenberg for me.

I like Di Resta, really like Di Resta, but Hulkenberg has more to offer at this moment in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Interesting post on Joe Saward's blog about why Force India haven't named their drivers.
    It is becoming increasingly clear since yesterday that Force India cannot name its 2011 drivers, until it can find a solution about what to do with Tonio Liuzzi. The team wants to run Adrian Sutil with Paul di Resta and to have Nico Hulkenberg as the test driver, ready to step in if there are problems.

The problem is that Liuzzi has a contract to race for the Silverstone operation in 2011. This dates back to 2008, when he committed to be the team’s test and reserve driver on the understanding that he would become a race driver in 2010 and 2011. In fact he was able to graduate to the racing team sooner than planned after Giancarlo Fisichella was released to drive for Ferrari in the middle of 2009.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/01/04/why-force-india-cannot-name-its-drivers/

Advertisement