Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved away from Tyrone looking back.

Options
  • 31-12-2010 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭

I moved away from Tyrone in 1999, and I dont get back very frequently, but i'm amazed at how much has changed. Strabane where I came from was an absolute hole when I grew up there in the eighties and ninties, but looking at it these days it seems to have matured and grown up in itself. The town centre is bustling all the time, the nightlife and pubs are always busy when i'm up and I neversee any of the old agrevation and fighting that I always associated with it. Only for the fact that my me and my young family are settled elsewhere i'd consider moving back.

So does anyone else share my views, or is it a case of absence making the heart grow fonder??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

definitely absence clouding your vision.

strabane is still a hole, but i see changes in that they are digging deeper and deeper. used to be on a saturday night you had loads of options, but now you have 2.
    shops are closing by the week.
    the business people are very downbeat about the future

STAY AWAY, especially if you have a young family and a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Are you from Strabane??

not exactly strabane. but was jailed in st colmans for 5 years just for being young

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'm from Lifford and living in Strabane now. There have been many changes over the years, some good, some bad.

The town centre is struggling since Asda opened and the retail units beside there were let. Three or four well known businesses are closing this month alone. On the flip side, Linton & Robinsons have reversed their decision to close. There are also plans for a boutique hotel opposite L&R where the beauty salon and Paddy Macs bar are presently located. There is also planning permission for a large hotel/leisure development on the Lifford Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

not exactly strabane. but was jailed in st colmans for 5 years just for being young

I was in StColmans myself from 1993 - 2000. Some very bad days there, but also some of the best days of my life. Theres a good facebook group from stcolmans with everyone glossing over the **** and only remembering the good stuff. Quite entertaining actually.
    smashey wrote: »
    I'm from Lifford and living in Strabane now. There have been many changes over the years, some good, some bad.

The town centre is struggling since Asda opened and the retail units beside there were let. Three or four well known businesses are closing this month alone. On the flip side, Linton & Robinsons have reversed their decision to close. There are also plans for a boutique hotel opposite L&R where the beauty salon and Paddy Macs bar are presently located. There is also planning permission for a large hotel/leisure development on the Lifford Road.

Not sure about the demand for a large hotel, but i've never really understood how no-one opened a really good restaurant in Strabane. It must be the biggest town in Ireland without one.

• Advertisement

read the facebook page on st colmans. never seen as many deluded people on one site. st colmans high school was one step away from hell, and there were days it did cross the line.

i can drive to derry and within 1/2 a mile of the quayside carpark, there is a choice of about 30 good quality resturaunts, all competing in price and quality.
    in strabane you have oysters, which in fairness is quite good, but the menu is limited

Advertisement