Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My last day as a smoker

Options
  • 31-12-2010 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all

smoking for the last 30 years. 40 a day for the last few years.:confused: its time to quit

So its quit day tomorrow 1/1/11. Bought my last 20 this morning :)
    a little bit nervous about tomorrow morning but hopefully i wont give in.

Bought some patches to help me through my first week. Not wasting my hard earned money on fags anymore.
    Best of luck to everyone who is giving up tomorrow.
    I will post tomorrow and let ye know how i am doing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

I wish you the best of luck - my gf is going to give it a shot too but not until the near the end of Jan. (I think she's sick of me tellling her to stand outside when she wants to smoke).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Best of luck. It's tough - particularly the first few days - but completely worth it. Make sure you go to bed with none left - even if it means chain smoking the last few. Wash and put away the ashtrays. Hide the matches/lighters. And wake up tomorrow to a smoke free existence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The cravings always go away, always. Good luck to you.

40 a day, crikey what are you going to do with all that money? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭markievicz

Best of luck!I'm going to try and quit in the next week or so (when I finish the last pack I have left :o) kinda dreading it but also looking forward to it! Keep us undated on how you're getting on!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Good on ya Molly, take it hour by hour then day by day.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Fairway Jim

Best of luck Molly, I just gave up as of today, too long a smoker, 24 years, feel like I was a slave to them. Today a start of a new life, keep us updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Best of luck Molly - you've made a fantastic decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭molly77

Hi all
    Thanks for all ur support
    Ok I did.nt smoke today, :):rolleyes::P:p;) Thank God Yipeeeeeeeeee
    Put patch on first thing this morning, jaysus that first hour is a killer. Cravings i am having one every quater of an hour. Pounding headache all day long, My other half nearly had a heart attack when i told him i did,nt smoke a fag all day, My house is shining cleaning mad all day.

Put today,s fag money €17 in my holiday jar:cool:. Thats where all my FAG money is going to be spent on. Love Africa and its wildlife awesome place been twice on safari to South Africa. This year is holiday to Masai Mara in Kenya in June. Please God. Have holiday booked since Oct and the only way i can afford (recession) to go is to keep off the fags. Hopefully

So tomorrow day 2, best of luck everyone

Best of luck Molly - you've made a fantastic decision!
    thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Fairway Jim

Best of Luck Molly, nearly first day down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

drink plenty of water in the first few days to flush them toxins out of your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Good luck Molly! It will get much much much much easier, you'll be so happy in a few weeks to have gotten rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shinshin14

Well done Molly .

I'm off them since New years day also using Champix. Today went fine. I'm 34 years a smoker , /smoking 25-30 daily - mostly chain smoking in the evening as I can't smoke at work. I had been off them 15 months but lapsed . Have made numerous attempt since but to no avail. This time I will succeed. None of my friends smoke and the only place I can smoke and have a coffee is at home as everywhere else it outside in the cold. My health is primary motivator as I can see how they have affected it to date ,and consider myself very lucky to be so well considering how heavily I smoke. The money I would spend anyway and I can't take it with me, but it woud be better to spend it in otherways then killing myself.

Keep up the good work and I will keep you informed of my progress. Remember there is no such thing as having one cigarette - that has been my downfall convincing myself that I coud start again the next day and knowing in my heart that it would take me years to build up the motivation again to even start.

Happy new year and keep me posted

Regards

Hi all thanks for all ur support, its a gerat help.

well day 2 nearly down and no fags today:)

Not too bad of a day i think, My worst time is first thing in de morning, I could bang me head against de wall. went on here and read everybody,s notes. which I found to be a great help. thanks all.

lots of them cravings :mad: again today, sooooooooooo hard but i will do my best to keep going :) aint going through all this misery to go back on de fags again,
    So its Day 3 tomorrow,
    Best of luck everybody and keep posting.

Shinshin14 wrote: »
    Well done Molly .

I'm off them since New years day also using Champix. Today went fine. I'm 34 years a smoker , /smoking 25-30 daily - mostly chain smoking in the evening as I can't smoke at work. I had been off them 15 months but lapsed . Have made numerous attempt since but to no avail. This time I will succeed. None of my friends smoke and the only place I can smoke and have a coffee is at home as everywhere else it outside in the cold. My health is primary motivator as I can see how they have affected it to date ,and consider myself very lucky to be so well considering how heavily I smoke. The money I would spend anyway and I can't take it with me, but it woud be better to spend it in otherways then killing myself.

Keep up the good work and I will keep you informed of my progress. Remember there is no such thing as having one cigarette - that has been my downfall convincing myself that I coud start again the next day and knowing in my heart that it would take me years to build up the motivation again to even start.

Happy new year and keep me posted

Regards
    Hi thanks
    Well how did u get on today, are ya gone mad yet:rolleyes: we all have to stick together haha, its hard going i know. day 3 tomorrow so i think we are doing well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Hows that No Fags thing goin there Molly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Hope you don't mind me joining in. Gave them up this morning. Twenty a day habit out the window. Typing this whilst sucking on one of those horrible little Niquitine Mini's after my lunch but it seems to work. Hope to be able to give these up after a couple of days as well. Good luck to all the other quitters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Well done everyone. You must be on Day 5 now Molly........Come back and tell us how you're getting on??

Big Lar wrote: »
    Hows that No Fags thing goin there Molly ?
    Hi ya
    Grand did,nt smoke. I post daily on other thread. evil fags one. Thanks for support Day 6 tomorrow:)

dolliemix wrote: »
    Well done everyone. You must be on Day 5 now Molly........Come back and tell us how you're getting on??
    Hi dolliemix
    I post daily on other thread Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Going well now thanks for asking Day 6 tomorrow:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Shinshin14

Well done Big lad

I also now post on the other thread giving up the evil fags - as its easier to follow and support each other.

Well done on your decsion to quit. One bit of advise as one who has fallen by the way side more than once previously. Stay with your prop for another while. It may be your answer to helping yourself over the next stages.

If you had decided to go cold turkey that would be different but if you have decided to use the gum stick with it for a while to enable you to stay focused in a moment of weakness and be caught off guard.

Its better to chew the gum -even though it tastes vile at rather than choke yourself on the weed.
    Welcome on board and keep us posted - remember we are in this together.
    We can never have one - that has been my downfall. I hear people saying to me Oh I have one now and again. Never worked for me in the past and within days I was back smoking more than ever

Advertisement