Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kino Cinema on Washington Street in Cork City

Options
  • 31-12-2010 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭

I loved that place. Has anyone heard of it making a comeback? I think it closed back in late 2009.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Worztron wrote: »
    I loved that place. Has anyone heard of it making a comeback? I think it closed back in late 2009.

I'm sure it closed earlier than that. Its sad that the Cork public and Irish people in general are only interested in a very narrow range of films.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

I'm sure it closed earlier than that. Its sad that the Cork public and Irish people in general are only interested in a very narrow range of films.

Yes, most people only watch mainstream movies (most of which are over hyped garbage). I saw many films at the Kino over the years, loved them all. The subtitles may turn people off but it shouldn't.

More info on closure here: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1102/1224257901277.html

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Ya saw many a fine flick in there myself but despite a decent enough campaign to keep it open i've heard nothing since last january. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The appalling legroom didn't help the place either.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Uh.....you can't really blame the people of Cork that an abortive attempt to expand the cinema resulted in it going under. At the end of the day if any business is not well run it will probably fail. Considering that it was practically next door to UCC I should think there was plenty of potential customers interested in non mainstream films. It certainly is sad that it's gone and I hope it or something like it will return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I actually thought it needed to be nearer the city center. It was a fair walk from Patrick Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

I actually thought it needed to be nearer the city center. It was a fair walk from Patrick Street.
    It was on Washington Street, less than five minutes from the Grand Parade. and about the same from UCC. The location was ideal.

It closed because it was shockingly run and of the failed expansion attempt.

There is definitely a market for independant cinema in Cork, but like anything people need to be enticed there. The Kino was a horrible venue, with one screen, ridiculous seats that made it very hard to walk after a two and a half hour film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Think the flood in November 2009 finally killed it off. I'm gutted it closed. It was a great place to escape for a couple of hours.

Plugged Records reopened couple of months ago, perhaps there is hope yet.

If I win the euro millions I'll reopen it :)

Advertisement