Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left-over meds, childproof bottles etc

Options
  • 31-12-2010 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Hi to pharmacists in particular

after a recent illness I've got a rake of left-over meds in blister packs, and also some childproof bottles that loose tabs came in. I believe I can bring the meds to a pharmacy, but do they also want the bottles? Do they get recycled? Seems a shame just to throw them out.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

after a recent illness I've got a rake of left-over meds in blister packs, and also some childproof bottles that loose tabs came in. I believe I can bring the meds to a pharmacy, but do they also want the bottles? Do they get recycled? Seems a shame just to throw them out.

Thanks

I have brought lots of bottles back to the pharmacy but I don't know if they recycle them (or if they are allowed to)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Hiya - I'm a pharmacist and speaking from what I've seen, the containers will go in the bin. Definitely bring back the meds as there's a proper disposal system for those though. It does seem wasteful throwing them out but there'd be a number of issues with recycling them - taking the time to get all the labels off (if they've been on a while it can be next to impossible to get them off), tablet dust on the inside contaminating whatever was next placed in them, not really knowing where they've been or what could have been in them (not a remark directed at you at all but people put funny things in tablet vials sometimes - I remember someone bringing in a few tablets in a vial as he wanted to get a repeat of them off his prescription and when I looked in the vial to see what tablets they were there was some blue gloopy stuff down the bottom that the remaining tablets were stuck to and it turns out it was Head & Shoulders as he had used the tablet vial when going on holidays as it was under 100ml then transferred tablets back into it when he got home!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Thanks

proper empty tablet bottles could go in recycle bin but make sure you remove person details from them

Left over meds pharmacy take and dispose of, had an elderly relative who was a gp retire in last few years and helped him clean out his shelves of samples etc and brought them to local pharmacy.

Not good to be throwing that stuff in bins

Advertisement