Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Family Car?

Options
  • 31-12-2010 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,

I am selling my 318 and getting a larger car for the family but im stumped on which one to get?

I have narrowed down to the following:

2005 Honda Stream 1.7 Petrol automatic
    2005 Skoda Octavia 1.9 Diesel automatic
    2005 Toyota Avensis 1.8 Petrol automatic
    2003 Nissan X-Trail 1.9 Petrol automatic

I am relectant to go to 2 litres because of tax and insurance however I know most good diesel's start at 2.0 litres. The car also have to be an automatic with a big boot. I have about 7k to spend so if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

I thought about the Passat but im not 100% convinced and the Mondeo is 2.0 litres so that rules that out. I heard something about oil consuption on the Avensis 1.8 is an issue so im not 100% sure what to do now. for some reason I keep going back to the Honda, i know its a soccer mum car but it looks alright to me. I know all the above will be a major change from the BMW 318 but its about the family and having the space not the enjoyment of driving anymore....sadly.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 joshbishop1982

OSI wrote: »
    Surely if a 318 is too small then an Octavia won't cut it either?

really? they look massive in the back, thought they were atleast a few litres bigger but maybe im wrong. I thought they were the same size as a passat and they look bigger than my 318. seriously the boot in the 318 is deceivingly small and shallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

OSI wrote: »
    Surely if a 318 is too small then an Octavia won't cut it either?
    :confused:

octavia = biggest boot in class, and is awesome.

You havent been here long have you?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,199 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Octavia is based on the smaller Golf/Jetta not the Passat. Octavia is also a hatchback which means the boot space has easier access than a conventional saloon car like a Passat or Avensis. Due to the Octavia being based on a Golf/Jetta though the rear passenger leg room is a bit restricted.

Toyota Avensis automatics I think were only available in saloon form so probably no more practical than the 318i you currently have. Honda Stream is an MPV and the X-Trail is 2.0 litre and drinks petrol.

OP, there is not going to be a world of difference in tax or insurance between 1.9 and 2.0 litre.

If you were happy with the 318i then maybe a touring version would do:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201043200001907

Advertisement