Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Schools

Options
  • 30-12-2010 10:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

There are quite a few literary summer schools dotted around the country. Basically these are week long series of lectures and talks given by scholars, artists and writers about a particular theme. Up my country there is a William Carleton summer school, devoted to an otherwise obscure Ulster folk writer.

Do you ever go to these sort of things? I've went to the Carleton school numerous times and some of the lectures can be interesting, and you meet some interesting people. Pity that they are usually three times my age.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I didn't even know these kind of things existed. They seem all based around the same author (there's a Samuel Beckett one in Trinity) so reading that author's works would presumably be a prerequisite. Are there any more general ones about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I didn't even know these kind of things existed. They seem all based around the same author (there's a Samuel Beckett one in Trinity) so reading that author's works would presumably be a prerequisite. Are there any more general ones about?

The specific author is just a general unifying theme. The lectures are generally varied, linking some historical context (A lot of 19th century historians speak at the Carleton school) some literary discussion of the author and his/her contemporaries... There are literally loads of them. I was in Scotland a couple of years ago and was tempted to go to the Walter Scott version in Edinburgh.

Advertisement