Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Economics & Rapid Revision! :) **

Options
  • 30-12-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

I'm sure due to previous posts that some of ye guys know i'm taking up Economics after the Christmas Holidays. Today I purchased "Rapid Revision Economics" I am just in the process of looking through it and just want to ask a few questions about the course length/hard areas etc. These are the chapters listed in the book, are there any missing or is that all the chapters I have to study?

Micro-Economics
    1. Introduction to Economics
    2. The Consumer and Utility
    3. Markets, Demand and Supply NB
    4. Elasticity NB
    5. The Factors of Production NB
    6. Costs of Production, Revenue and profit
    7. Perfect Competition
    8. Monopoly
    9. Imperfect Competition
    10. Oligopoly NB

Macro-Economics
    1. The Government and the Economy
    2. Inflation
    3. Money, Banking
    4. Exchange Rates
    5. International Trade
    6. National Income
    7. Economic Growth and Development
    8. Population
    9. The E.U
    10. History of Economic Thought NB

NB= What I have heard are very important and are essential.. Does anyone have any tips/hints etc?. How fast should I be working towards the chapters?. Should I be making out study notes/testing myself?. Any tips on what chapters I should work longer on etc. is appreciated. My goal is to do 1 chapter a week until I complete Micro Economics.. (Possibly spending longer on some chapters).

The course seems quite short, seeing as chapter 1 is only 3 pages!!.

Once again any hints etc mucho appreciato!!.

Peace!

Daithi :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭John Sugrue

It's all there. That's not to say that the chapters themselves aren't missing anything but just from looking at the titles it all looks ok.

Don't know where you got the NBs though. How anybody can say History is the most important part of the Macro section (History shouldn't even be in the Macro section anyway) is ridiculous. Macro numbers 1-7 are all frequent on the LC paper both as long and short questions. They need to be studied inside-out.

As for Micro, the four market structures (numbers 7-10) are equally important. Whoever told you Oligopoly is more important is clearly trying to guess what will be on the exam in June. They don't know!

Sorry for the rant! Economics is a great subject. Enjoy!

Hey thanks so much! I just assumed History was important as I heard people saying many students leave it out and it can come up quite often but now I see all chapters are of equal importance!

So Chapters 7-10 are all Market Structures? Is it true to stay that at least 1 of these chapters will appear in my exam?

Also i've heard That Chapter 5 Factors of Production comes up every year! If this is true does that mean that 2/4 long questions I have to answer will come from chapters 5, 7, 8, 9, 10 in Microeconomics?.

Just wondering do you have any sort of timeline I should be working towards? From looking at Chapter 1 I should have it finished in about 2 days how long should Chapter 2 take?.

Finally, it appears to be a very very short couse in comparison to some subjects like Business and Geography! Would it be hard to achieve a B2 in Higher?

Hey guys i'm looking for some advice once again! I am wondering if I studied Chapter 1 of Micro and then changed to Macro would this be ok?. It is just that Macroeconomics looks more straight forward to me theory wise not as many figures and I feel I would do betterin the Macro Section due to the fact that I am doing Business, Geography and have an interest in Current Affairs and the Government?. Or would it make more sense to just start the Micro Section?. By looking through the book it looks like a lovely subject!. It seems chapter 8&9 in Macro would overlap with Geography slightly as they both deal with Population and the E.U..

In conclusion, I just want to know could I start with Introduction to Economics(micro) and then proceed to the Macro section?

Thanks! Daithi
    =]

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RainbowDrops

You don't have to do all Macro & then Micro or the other way around if that's what you mean :)
    ..At least we don't in school anyway lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

The paper is becoming increasingly Macro heavy. I'd prep macro as hard as you can and from Micro I'd know Oligopoly and how it compares to Imperfect Competition

The paper is becoming increasingly Macro heavy. I'd prep macro as hard as you can and from Micro I'd know Oligopoly and how it compares to Imperfect Competition

Yeah I think i'll start with the Macro it looks way nicer.. If I do all of Macro and the 4 market structures and Factors of production would I need to cover any more? Am looking for a B2+

Anybody Else?

Advertisement