Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best time to vaccinate puppy?

Options
  • 30-12-2010 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi
    When is the best time to vaccinate a puppy? I got a puppy a week ago and he is now 9 weeks old. Should I wait long to get it? Also should I get the 7 in 1 vaccine?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

congrats on your pup.

the pup should of had his parvo vac at 6 weeks, followed by his 7-1 at 8 weeks and then his next 7-1 should be done 2-4 weeks later depending on vet. some like it done sooner than others. then yearly

has pup had any vac yet at all? be very careful with your pup until aweek after final vac.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How long ago did you get the pup? Pups shouldnt leave the litter until they are at least 8 weeks old.

The breeder should have given at least one vaccination, a Parvo which is very important so if the pup has had no vaccinations yet, please bring it to the vet as soon as you can to start the course and make sure you dont walk the pup anywhere apart from your own house and garden as it is at risk of picking up deadly diseases like Parvo and Lepto.

What Portgirl said is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

No he hasn't had any vaccination done at all yet so will have to get that done in the next few days, he's only allowed out to pee so far though;)
    Is the rabies vaccine included in the 7 in 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No he hasn't had any vaccination done at all yet so will have to get that done in the next few days, he's only allowed out to pee so far though;)
    Is the rabies vaccine included in the 7 in 1?

No, the rabies vaccine is nothing to do with the 7 in one. They dont vaccinate for rabies unless you are getting the pet passport done for travelling and thats a special vaccination programme.

Just make sure you get the pup done asap. Has the pup been wormed? Did you get it from a breeder?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

also becareful where you let it out to pee, try and just let it pee in your own garden. parvo is a fatal disease esp to a little pup. be very careful cos as far as i know parvo can be carried in on your feet. please dont wait a few days as with the new year coming up it will be more likely middle of next week before you will get a open vet. please try and get to vet tomorrow, also if pup aint vac i doubt it has been wormed, get this done as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement