Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone stayed in the town of 'Gap', France?

Options
  • 30-12-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm planning a trip to France in early June. Was just wondering if anyone here has stayed in the town of Gap by any chance? I wanted to take in a few climbs, and will have a car with me, so Gap seemed handy because it's about 1h45m from Alpe D'Huez/Galibier and from the Ventoux as well. (if i stay round Alpe D'Huez for example, it's a 6-hr round trip for Ventoux, so I'd rather the shorter drives each day than that).

I checked a few apartment/gite websites and then i thought maybe someone from this forum might have stayed in Gap and might recommend where they stayed?

hope you can help!
    Andy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

I stayed there many years ago for the Tour 91 I think, it's often a stage finish town, there is some great climbs from gap without the need for using the car.

A great climb is up to orciere merlette which was a mountain TT in the 1989 tour de france.

I think the decent where Armstrong had to go through the field to avoid Berloki http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/tour03/?id=stages/stage9

It was so long ago since I was there I can't remember where we stayed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I stayed there a few times when I did the Alpigap sportive. Top spot on the edge of the Alps. I stayed in a great campsite just above the town. If you are into camping I'd recommend it. Pool and all.

There are tons of routes directly from the town itself. The local touriste office had a really good leaflet with them graded. The Alpigap route is a good challenge if you have 4.5hrs to spare.

EDIT: Looking at their site, they have changed the route since I did it (2008 & 2009). Can't vouch for the route but they put on a great sportive so I'm sure it's pretty good.

I wouldn't bother with Ventoux. Plenty other good stuff much closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

thanks for the replies lads - i hadn't actually thought of camping, but looking at the site there it seems pretty good, and they even have chalets & Bungalows - perfect!
    Nice one icon14.gif

Advertisement