Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange looking swirl heading for north leinster.

Options
  • 30-12-2010 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Guys,

Just looking at http://sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=vis&type=loop

at 15:30 on Thurs 30th Dec. Just wondering what the swirl which looks like the centre of a low pressure moving in from the irish sea towards drogheda/dundalk area. Is this some kind of sub low pressure or a localised storm?

Looks very strange.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Nice find , tis very weird.

No mini low forecast by GFS or HIRLAM, Look like a minor mesoscale disturbance. Looks fantastic, reminds me of how much the atmosphere is like a body of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Heres a pic since the vis timelapse is about to go dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Almost comma shaped isn't it???

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

hey did anyone ever find out what this was...
    my sister was coming out of arklow at about four and saw a big round cloud just above arklow rock... they said it was perfectly round and strange looking.

Any ideas of what it was, was funny how i said about this thread and she then had saw the cloud. you guys are deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

my sister was coming out of arklow at about four and saw a big round cloud just above arklow rock... they said it was perfectly round and strange looking.

missrandomer. I'd say what your sister saw was a lenticular cloud. They can form near hills. They are rare enough. Nice to see one. Did she take a photo?

The swirl mentioned above tracked towards dundalk so it wasn't the same as whatever your sister saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

Gremlin wrote: »
    missrandomer. I'd say what your sister saw was a lenticular cloud. They can form near hills. They are rare enough. Nice to see one. Did she take a photo?

The swirl mentioned above tracked towards dundalk so it wasn't the same as whatever your sister saw.

Awh, ah well thanks anyway Gremlin for letting me know. it just sounded similiar to what had been posted on here at the time. Didnt see it myself so i wasnt sure. No camara but they said it was amazing.
    Guess i should stick to imagining shapes out of clouds like i used to when i was little haha :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Interesting feature, I hadn't spotted it. It looks like a lee vortex that developed downwind of the Welsh mountains, caused by the interaction of the mountains with the southeasterly low - mid level airflow. These probably happen fairly regularly, but the layer of cloud was a handy canvas to paint it on in this case.

Here's a hi-res MODIS image of it from 12:10GMT.

141562.png

and the ECMWF model surface pressure and 850hPa wind (green vectors), showing the lee trough in the area and the location of the vortex (red).

141563.png

The airports of both Isle of Man and Valley (Angelsey) reported a brief slight drop in pressure and slight wind shifts as the vortex passed by, but it there wasn't a noticeable effect at Dublin later.

http://www.ogimet.com/display_metars.php?lang=en&lugar=egns+egov+eidw&tipo=ALL&ord=REV&nil=SI&fmt=html&ano=2010&mes=12&day=30&hora=08&anof=2010&mesf=12&dayf=30&horaf=21&send=send

Advertisement