Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeilge and the job market

Options
  • 30-12-2010 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Odd question here:

I'm pondering getting my doctorate degree as a crisis psychologist and was wondering about the use of Gaeilge in conjunction with this. I figured that having a lot of languages would be helpful since most people, when stressed, default to their native language.

I was wondering what the likelihood of encountering someone who was going to default to Gaeilge...?

Do I get the prize for the most off-the-wall question yet? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

in places like Boston, you'll have a slight chance, some native speakers there that emigrated over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

According to the last US census there is about 25k Irish speakers in US making it the 66th most common spoken language there. Most speakers in New York whereas highest percentage of population of a state that can speak irish is in Massachusetts (Quelle surprise?)
    http://www.usefoundation.org/userdata/file/Research/Languages/irish_gaelic.pdf

Places like Boston have alot of Connemara people. It's often said that there are more Connemara people in Boston area then in Connemara itself!

Advertisement