Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Tools on MacBook Pro

Options
  • 30-12-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Hey tech heads,

I got myself a lovely MacBook Pro during the summer and want to put Pro Tools on to it. Thing is because I'm a student I want to do this for as cheaply as possible. Even if I were to say "acquire" it some way off the internet would I still have to buy an Mbox? I'm a bit dim when it comes to things like this so all help is appreciated. I'd be using it mostly for mixing and the odd small bit of recording.

Regards
    Mongo

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You don't need an M-Box, there's "M-Powered" packages avail too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Mongo wrote: »
    Hey tech heads,

I got myself a lovely MacBook Pro during the summer and want to put Pro Tools on to it. Thing is because I'm a student I want to do this for as cheaply as possible. Even if I were to say "acquire" it some way off the internet would I still have to buy an Mbox? I'm a bit dim when it comes to things like this so all help is appreciated. I'd be using it mostly for mixing and the odd small bit of recording.

Regards
    Mongo

if you buy an mbox you automatically get protools free with it. and unless you "aquire" protools 9, which is not aquirable yet, you'll have to buy an mbox anyway to use protools.

or, as drav suggested, buy m-powered and use an m-audio card.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

What would you guys reccomend I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

Two channel M box 2 Mini going for cheap on Thomann.

That will get you sorted with Pro Tools 8 LE.

bbk wrote: »
    Two channel M box 2 Mini going for cheap on Thomann.

That will get you sorted with Pro Tools 8 LE.

Oh ya just checking that out. Looks good. Some nice bundles in there too. Any recommendations on which bundle is good value?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

if your not 100% sold on protools give logic a try

Ya I'm defo going for Pro Tools because I'm comfortable with t and I have some access to a studio with it. So I reckon get a M Box Mini would be perfect and Pro Tools Le 8. Do you get it with the Mbox or must I buy it seperately?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

I have an MBox (3rd gen) and I just crossgraded to Protools 9 there. I believe you need one of these iLok USB keys in order to run it (on protools LE 8 you need to have your MBox connected all the time to run it), this may make 'acquiring' it difficult. If you have LE 8 already you can crossgrade to Protools 9 for €250, plus whatever it costs for the iLok (I'm looking around now to make sure you need it, didn't use to as far as I know :()

Mongo wrote: »
    Ya I'm defo going for Pro Tools because I'm comfortable with t and I have some access to a studio with it. So I reckon get a M Box Mini would be perfect and Pro Tools Le 8. Do you get it with the Mbox or must I buy it seperately?

I needed a little interface and was very surprised to see that you got PT8LE with it!

I only like the interface because of the Pro Tools thing. Though, I only have PT because my Uni uses it. Im a Cubase user myself. Fecking despise the M-Box sometimes. Cant route inputs to outputs the way I want. Input 1 to Output left and Input 2 to out right. I dont remember why I needed that though.

Cant use it as the main Windows sound card with my monitors so now I have to route the monitor outs of the M box into my Focusrite which I use as my main sound device for windows and my monitors. Annoying.

Thats just me anyway. Im also a Windows user so the Focusrite stuff for example would always work better then the old Digidesign.

Protools 8 is nice though. It looks well but I really like Cubase.

And it will only take 48khz even though I recorded a whole PT session in 44.1 on a HD rig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Pro Tools 9 will work with the built in audio, all you need is a mic pre or two and the right cable. Built in audio on the Mac is very good, it's 24 bit will do 96kHz if you're that way inclined.

Advertisement