Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan friendly mainstream foods

Options
  • 30-12-2010 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Heya im having a house party tonight and two of the people coming are vegans. Now i plan to provide food, but i dont want to make a big deal out of them being vegan (i.e buying food that only they can eat and others cant) so i was wondering are they are main stream sweets i.e brands of chocolate or sweets that are vegan friendly?
    I would really appreciate the advice.
    Thanks =)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Chilli Doritos, Original Hula Hoops and Original Pringles are your friend. Most other crisps have milk in them ("lactose", "milk powder", "whey"). As per hot food - if you do potato wedges or chips, they are fine. Chocolate isn't an easy thing to get for vegans (it gets expensive!). I'm vegan myself so this is what I'd eat if given the choice :)

You could also get plain salted tortilla chips (Tesco value range) which just have corn, salt and oil. Cheap and vegan! Plain hummous is a good dip for that. I don't know about what's in salsa... but I'd presume that would be ok. Anyone else know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Pringles Texas BBQ flavour are ok too (all Pringles are marked as being Vegetatian or Vegan on the tube except the prawn cocktail ones). Those Indian snack things in supermarkets should be ok (the onion bhajis etc.), just check the ingredients.

Celtic chocolates are available in most supermarkets, many of their range is vegan, they are clearly marked.

As sweet-rasmus has said, hummus is usually ok but some of them contain milk so always check, same with salsa and sweet chili dips. Salsa is easy to make at home too, see here for a simple recipe.

edit: you can PM me my invitation k thx bai

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

The Tesco version of After Eights are vegan (may contain traces, etc etc)
    They're only €1.50 and they're in a light green box. They must be laced with crack, they're so addictive, so proceed with caution. They were reduced to 75c in my nearest Tesco recently, it got a bit crazy.

Aldi's good for chocolate too. The Moser Roth 125g bars are good, three flavours and it's a pack of 5 little bars so it wouldn't be like handing them a big slab of chocolate. They're €1.59 each.

Yeah, salsa and hummus would both be grand. Sure make your own, it'd probably taste better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Petite Treats

Fair play for not wanting to draw attention to your vegan guests- It can be so embarassing when people are standing around asking what you can eat...

I agree with suggestions made- Tesco value tortillas are so cheap and delish.

Few other ideas:
    Back at home Ciabatta (check ingredients but most are vegan) serve with hummus, olives, evoo, balsamic, salt (all in little bowls). Marks do some good vegan breads. If Tesco is more convenient for you - three of the La Brea breads are vegan and really good - rosemary and olive oil, walnut and sourdough. It's just good bread vegan or not!

Dark choc truffles- Booja Booja, Celtic choc both vegan

OOPS- just realised this party is probably on now! It has been a long day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Petite Treats

I know that the event the original poster was asking about is over but I just thought of another idea:

Bombay Pantry do a few great vegan options as well as meat/fish for the carnivores! We have gotten that in when friends are over- everyone can order from same place so it's handy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Hairspray

Heya, had the party last week and the vegans were very happy :). Thanks for all the great help and advice guys!:cool:

Advertisement