Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

**Where to Sell Discharged Car Batteries?**

Options
  • 30-12-2010 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

I work in a Job where I end up with loads of used car batteries and I always just end up throwing them into an advance Pitstop or somewhere. The Garages I leave them off at are always more then happy to take them as they tell me they actually get paid for them by the company that collects the wasted batteries.

Its also a big thing now with the travelers coming into workshops and taking all the batteries out of the battery bin.

So my question is, does anyone know where I can get money for them and if so how much??

I'm thinking it might be worth storing them out the back garden till November and getting a little Christmas bonus.

Thanks All.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

unless your talking a serious quantity of batteries, it may not be worth your while.

i think it goes by the final weight of the battery bin, not the amount of batteries (as size obviously can vary).

for the average full bin (say 75 average sized batteries) and depending on the price of lead at the time (as its the lead that is 'harvested' from them), they may only be worth in the ballpark of 1 euro per battery, give or take a small amount.

factor in the inconvenient size of a battery bin, the constant nagging from travelers etc, the hazard they pose (the batteries) and having to arrange the collection and drop of of the bin it may not be worth your while, unless like i said, your looking at a very large quantity of batteries.

Enva Ireland are one such company who collect dead batteries.
    http://www.enva.ie/Home/Home_Page/index.html

(its been a few years now since i've worked at a place that collected batteries, so prices could have varied greatly in the mean time, so dont take my quotation as gospel)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

The price does depend on the weight and not the quantity, I think it is around €250 per tonne, but I am open to correction on that. It is a pain in the arse keeping them and you need all sorts of enviromental documentation to prove that they are desposed of properly. We would have around 20 branches that sent all battery bins back to head office for collection, yes the travellers love it when they can get at them as they can make a fortune on them. You probably better off bring a quantity of 15 - 20, depending on size, to a metal merchant who may buy them off you for cash. They look for the lead in the battery to sell on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you go ahead with this, a small extra margin can be made by ensuring that all the batteries are full to the brim with water, or even something else thats free and heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

smokie2008 wrote: »

Its also a big thing now with the travelers coming into workshops and taking all the batteries out of the battery bin.

Thanks All.

Our special members of society, to whom no laws apply, are breaking up these batteries, pouring the acid out, discarding the plastic and selling on the lead for scrap.

Since they are immune from any type of prosecution, I am sure that they adhere to all environmental regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Imbatman

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Our special members of society, to whom no laws apply, are breaking up these batteries, pouring the acid out, discarding the plastic and selling on the lead for scrap.

Since they are immune from any type of prosecution, I am sure that they adhere to all environmental regulations.

:D shure why wouldnt they boss:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭hanloj1

Galway metal buy them off ya. not sure of they pay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Cheers Guys,
    I only remembered earlier I seen on the tv somewhere that in the US they sell for between $5 and $10 a battery. I would only maybe accumulate maybe 100 batteries throughout the year BUT, if it was worth my while I could ask the lads to keep em for me too and get 3,4,5 times that without any hassle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 151 ✭✭greenermetals

just be careful though, if you keep them there is a whole load of rules about them, they have to be kept on an impermeable surface, you need documentation out of the whizz wang. Make sure you keep them in a box, dont leave them sitting on the grass in your back garden because if some busy body reports you and the council arrive at your door, you will be crucified.

Advertisement