Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

macbook pro to tv's - sd and hd

Options
  • 29-12-2010 11:27pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭

having a google round looking for a cable ideally to hook up to a standard sdtv ideally to pickup in dublin, maplins seem to have just a mini display to vga, not even a hd one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

Assuming your macbook pro is a mini displayport model, and your tv is a CRT with only composite (yellow) and scart inputs... I think you have to go mini-dp -> vga and vga -> composite. Or the same with dvi instead of vga. Not a very nice solution really. Apple likes to abandon old fashioned connectors as soon as they can get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dahak

Acous had it pretty much fully covered above, getting analogue output from a mini DisplayPort MacBook is a real pain in the ass.

I looked into it before and the only way possible is:
    mdp -> vga -> composite (or component)

DisplayPort does not transmit any analogue signals, the mdp->VGA adaptor actually had a DAC (digital to analogue convertor) that does this conversion.

(As a side note, VGA can carry well above 1080p video signal, so if you had a TV that accepted VGA input that wouldn't be a problem).

For hd output to a external pc monitor or tv, one of the following adaptors are needed.
    • mdp -> VGA
    • mdp -> DVI-D (digital only)
    • mdp -> HDMI*

*After the mid 2010 refresh, sending audio over DisplayPort became available, for previous models only video was sent. This was a hardware limitation on the older MacBook Pros.

If you're not in hurry you can get the adaptors from DX for reasonable prices,

mdp->HDMI for ~$11
    mdp->DVI for ~$8
    mdp->VGA ~$14

I both the DVI and VGA adaptor linked and they both work perfectly. I also have a DVI -> HDMI adaptor to hook up to newer HD televisions. As I have an older MBP it won't do sound over HDMI so it works perfectly if not a little cumbersome. mdp -> DVI -- DVI cable -- DVI -> HDMI -- TV.
    At the time the mdp->VGA, mdp->DVI and DVI -> HDMI adaptors cost me a grand total of €24.50, which was less than a single adaptor from Apple.

Advertisement