Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Dog

Options
  • 29-12-2010 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi All

My wife and I have been living in our house for about a year now and were thinking of getting a dog.

The problem is we both work about an hour away from where we live.
    So the dog would be on his own for 10-11 hours a day.
    We live in an estate but do have a big back garden that is fully enclosed.
    But we wouldn't want a dog that will be barking all day long.

We would also be looking to allow the dog inside so one thats preferably not that hairy and not too big either.

I also do a lot or road running so would be looking for a dog that would be suitable to come on 5-10 mile + road runs with me.
    But dont want some dog thats absolutely insatiable with energy.

I was looking at a beagle but apparently they like to stop & smell everything which is not good for running.

I know that is a lot of pre conditions but trying to get something that suits.

Do you think its possible?
    Or due to us being away from the house for that long each day should we leave it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

8ofSpades wrote: »
    I also do a lot or road running so would be looking for a dog that would be suitable to come on 5-10 mile + road runs with me.

Ever heard of canicross?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canicross

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

As I mentioned earlier, you'll need a canicross belt, a bungee line, and a harness.

Beagles are lovely dogs, but I don't think they'd make great dogs for canicross, as they're very fond of investigating smells!

Check out www.tailsandtrails.ie , they've a good article about canicross, amongst other outdoor activities that you can enjoy with your dog.

Wedgie

Advertisement