Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just had a butterfly in my house!

Options
  • 29-12-2010 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Something really weird just happened. Went out into the hall and frantically trying to get out was a tortoiseshell butterfly, like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35847324@N00/181532788/

You wouldn't normally expect to see them at this time of the year I'm sure, so I can only assume that it hatched inside the house somewhere. I'm completely flabbergasted but thrilled at the same time. He brought a little bit of summer into the house - beautiful creature!

I had a moral dilemma though because I couldn't keep him in the house and yet if I let him out, he would die because of the cold. I decided I had to let him go, so caught him on my hand where he stayed for a few seconds while I opened the door and, as soon as he saw daylight, he was off.

Absolutely made my day :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

They hibernate as an adult, so from that perspective not a huge surprise. A lot to hibernate in homes and then with heating they stir in winter.

I think a good possibility that it may return to hibernation, hopefully it hasn't used up too much reserves, though whether it'll escape the very hungry birds....

and yes a joy to see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Oh God, I forgot about the birds! Mind you, I keep the birds in my garden well-fed, especially at this time of year, so hopefully they'll ignore him and he'll make it to a safe haven.

Thanks Mothman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

That's a nice December surprise :)

I saw a ladybird in my garden this morning which similarly took me by surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

Funny you should mention that Littlebug. My daughter found a ladybird on the sofa on Sunday and insisted she'd seen it come off the Christmas tree. We let it climb back on there but haven't seen it since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Jen have you seen the Harlequin ladybird thread.
    It's worth having a look just in case. I'm 95% sure mine was a regular 7 spot ladybird but by the time I got the camera it was gone.

Sorry for taking the thread OT from butterflies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭wildlifeman

I have seen both in the last 24 hours, its the 11 degrees, they must be thinking its Spring..They'll be in for a sharp shock soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

A lot! of moths in the trap this morning. There are a few species that fly during winter. It is normal to see moths during the winter, especially duirng mild spells and Winter Moth is very obvious in car headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Where I work with antiques, I often see butterflies come off the back of old sideboards and chests of drawers etc . at weird times of the year .
    So Maybe the OP shifted a bit of furniture around in the house for christmas ??

Advertisement