Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to buy - flash road wheels, or an mtb

Options
  • 29-12-2010 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭

I've had it in my head for the last couple of years to treat myself and my road bike to a bling set of carbon wheels of some sort. I currently have the dura-ace 7850 carbon laminate clinchers and they're fantastic. Super light, very strong, no issues with them whatsoever, plus they're not so expensive that you have to be precious about using them all the time. So for a set of sunny sportive wheels I've been looking at maybe the mavic cosmic carbone SL's or the deep section Dura-ace 7850's, or zipp 404 special editions if i can find em.

BUT - mooching around wheelworx the last day I noticed that there are some really smashing looking hardtail mtb's available for around the same money as the road wheels, and I'm wondering if it'd be a "better craic" way to spend the money, so to speak. That's assuming I can make room in my shed for another jaysus bike :).

Most roadies seem to have mtb's in their sheds, but I wonder if they really get much use out of them. And what's the deal with sub 1000 euro mountain bikes? A grand doesn't really buy you much of a road bike, so although the mtb's look great to my untrained eye, maybe they're not really up to much are they?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Bike count ++

If even something to use once a year in the snow as relief from the turbo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I agree MTB saved my life during the snow. Was able to pedal outdoors, a real luxury, even though it's so damn slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

mountain bikes are great craic :D for 500-1000 euro you will get a very good hardtail new (hydro brakes a good chainset and a good frame + fork) if you want a full suspension bike for a 1000 and under look second hand, a ton of places these days for mountain biking so id say get one as they can be great fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Got this just before Christmas. It's pretty awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

That Canyon is fantastic value at that price - really good spec! I would be wary of most new mtbs at less than €1000 (unless they are being seriously discounted!). Decent forks and brakes are essential if you intend to use the bike offroad.

• Advertisement

fat bloke wrote: »
    II currently have the dura-ace 7850 carbon laminate clinchers and they're fantastic. Super light, very strong, no issues with them whatsoever
    So it's

Current road bike as is with wheels that you're very happy with & a new MTB
    VS.
    Current road bike with blinging wheels

If you're looking to concentrate on the road and setting PBs is important to you then go for the wheels. Personally (and I already have this)I'd go for the MTB.

If you're employed and you haven't already used the BTW scheme you could do so to help with the MTB but you wouldn't be able to do so for the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Lemag wrote: »
    So it's

Current road bike as is with wheels that you're very happy with & a new MTB
    VS.
    Current road bike with blinging wheels

If you're looking to concentrate on the road and setting PBs is important to you then go for the wheels. Personally (and I already have this)I'd go for the MTB.

If you're employed and you haven't already used the BTW scheme you could do so to help with the MTB but you wouldn't be able to do so for the wheels.

Ooh, that canyon is gorgeous. Nice one.
    As for the btw scheme, it seems a bike shop would happily sell you a lawnmower and a big screen tv totalling 1000 euro if they had it in stock, accompanied by a receipt for "1x bike + 1x pump + 1x red helmet" :).

I spent a bit of today looking around. Cyclesuperstore have an impressive selection of ca 1000 euro bikes, their Cubes are really smashing looking, stylish designs and paint schemes. Very nice. Ditto the Lapierre's.

I'm not completely sold on the idea yet though. Of course the carbon wheels purchase makes no sense really, that's not what it's about. I no more "need" carbon wheels than a bird needs a Louis Vuitton, but she sure as hell wants one. I got great use out of my road bike last year, enjoyed it immensely, spent a month in France, and did as many sportives as I could at home, so I know that I would knock use out of a nice set of aero wheels, and I know they'd look great on the bike. I'm not so sure that I would use the mtb much. I do actually have an old mtb that I use to take the kids to school and I've never felt that inclined to take it out mountain biking tbh.

We shall see. Gotta get through the New Year first, we'll see where my resolutions take me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anthonyvbyrne

Most roadies seem to have mtb's in their sheds, but I wonder if they really get much use out of them. ...

Definately. Especialy if you live near some rural terain. Where I live Ive got the old N4 and connected 'R' roads for a 40+k spin on the Giant Defy, But I also have a ton of back roads with craters and grass strip up the center, and the Canal line ( Royal) whare you can spend a bumpy hour or 2 taking in the sounds and smells of pure countryside whilst also enjoying a very chalanging spin.

the fancy wheels will probably shave off a minute or 2 from 20 K, but the MTB will open up a whole new world to yo
    u ... Get the MTB.

No serious biker only has one or the other. - You need both.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anthonyvbyrne

MTB are not about getting someplace fast, Theyre about getting somplace where you cant go on the roadie.

fat bloke wrote: »
    I no more "need" carbon wheels than a bird needs a Louis Vuitton
    If, by any chance, this bird has a pair of Louboutins to go with the Louis Vuitton then I would see this as ample justification to go for both the MTB and the new carbon wheels. Dilemma solved :D

• Advertisement

Lemag wrote: »
    If, by any chance, this bird has a pair of Louboutins to go with the Louis Vuitton then I would see this as ample justification to go for both the MTB and the new carbon wheels. Dilemma solved :D

Ha ha ha. Now that's what I call a solution to a problem. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Get the mtb and forget the wheels. The mtb can take you to places you'll never get on the road bike. Also, it is great for the winter if you find a nice trail.

First, it's fun to get dirty on the mtb, but not the road. Second, when it is cold outside hit the single track mountain trails and you're speed will be low and rpms high. You'll sweat even in a snow storm.

THe mtb is the greatest way to stay in shape during the winter, especially for those of us that hate rollers.

Also, if you go on the treacherous trails that I do, you'll have a whole new level of bike handling skills and learn how to take a good fall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Also, how do you figure the Carbone SL wheels bling? They are entry level aero wheels, and considerably heavier than the DA wheels. Get the mtb, as it allows you to explore other avenues, and experience something new

Also, how do you figure the Carbone SL wheels bling? They are entry level aero wheels, and considerably heavier than the DA wheels. Get the mtb, as it allows you to explore other avenues, and experience something new

€1000 euro wheels fall squarely in the land if Bling as far as MY wallet is concerned anyway. The new 2011 ones are great looking. I think I prefer the DA C50's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

Get the wheels!!!
    You will prob get more use out of the wheels if your'e a roadie & it's always good to look good!!
    Got my wife / myself a hybrid thinking I'd use this during winter. Hasn't happened yet. Can't enjoy getting out on anything other than my road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Was in a bike shop yesterday and very tempted by getting an mtb on the bike to work scheme..........but hard to justify it if youre just going to use it once a month or less. So would advise you to get the wheels, and me the garmin 800

Get the wheels!!!
    You will prob get more use out of the wheels if your'e a roadie & it's always good to look good!!

Finally! Just what I wanted to hear! No one comes on here looking for advice really, do they. Just confirmation and validation of a decision they've already made!! :D

but what if you get the mtb and find out hey i love this sport as much as road biking? you wont know til you try and the roadie is already rolling so the wheels are overkill

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Id be surprised if you didnt like mtbing more than road biking. ;)

Just make sure you go with people who know decent trails in your area.

but what if you get the mtb and find out hey i love this sport as much as road biking? you wont know til you try and the roadie is already rolling so the wheels are overkill

Well. This is the thing. I have actually mtb'd a few times. In France twice and I thought it was cool. In america once on a flash 3 grand rental on the new 29inch (?) wheels and on a dedicated manicured trail, and i thought it was ok. And a couple of times here at home, and it was a bit... meh.

So basically I'm just not sold on the mountain bike thing yet. There is of course the chance that I will buy the bike, get into it and get great use out of it, but once the spring kicks in, I'll be firmly on my road buzz so the mtb will just take up space in the shed.

A mint set of second hand Zipps for €500 would sort me out and let me buy both. Or else maybe new wheels and pick up someone else's unused btw folly for half price. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

halfords are doing this bike for 309 quid, if you have an axa insurance policy you get a further 15% off.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_778061_langId_-1_categoryId_212589

would you be able for all those hills though fat bloke :D

lennymc wrote: »
    halfords are doing this bike for 309 quid, if you have an axa insurance policy you get a further 15% off.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_778061_langId_-1_categoryId_212589

hell of a deal ive been looking at it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

get an mtb, something like an all mountain bike second hand, theyll do ye very well. even get a new frame something like an on one 456 with second hand parts and eventually upgrade maybe. i did this well under a grand now i have this http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/_Stany_/?action=view&current=94172300.jpg

its far more enjoyable then a road bike, i was in the same situation as you but left my wheels as they are for now :)

lennymc wrote: »

Must check the max weight restrictions for Zipps! If I don't call a halt to this festive indulgence I'll need a pig iron mtb under me! :D

for under a grand you will get a hell of a mountain bike second hand i got this for 900 quid and its an amazing bike, does both uphill and downhill very well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Fancy sportive wheels or a MTB you don't think you'll use? how about not buying either? Genuinely.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fancy sportive wheels or a MTB you don't think you'll use? how about not buying either? Genuinely.

Get out!

Seriously, if you're going for needless bling you need proper full carbon wheels. Alloy wheels with a carbon fairing are heavy and ugly. Cosmics in particular are heavy, rattly pieces of crap, in my worthless opinion, and new Zipps are just too expensive to risk on Irish roads unless you can bear the thought of a single pothole incident costing you the best part of a thousand quid.

There are a few choices around a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

It probably depends on where you live and what you intend to do most. I live near trails and hills in south Wicklow so a full-on racer is wasted on me. I've a starter MTB, Lapierre 300, which does the job nicely and is great in this weather particularly as some of the backroads around me are shocking with potholes etc. Last year with the bike the work scheme I invested in a Giant TCX2, so I can still do a bit of the trail stuff with it but its decent on the road too. Both good bikes.

It's an option, sure. But i have a btw scheme to take the edge off the squandering.

Another option would be a €1000 credit note with a friendly LBS to chip away at over time. Between gels, tires, tubes, servicing, muc-off, and miscellaneous odds and ends, between myself and the missus I'm sure we'd comfortably spend that much over 12 to 18 months.

Still like the idea of the fancy rims though. No reason why they wouldn't last me for several years and/or bikes. I must say I think I'm with you on the Cosmics the more I look at them. They're suspiciously like plain ol' Kysrium SL's with a sheath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

1279617442643-1xkdmj8covir9-399-75.jpg

Advertisement