Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"An"

Options
  • 28-12-2010 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Yeah you know the word that you put before a vowel or some few exceptions such as hour, honour, etc., well what is it becoming an absolute norm in media for?

I used to read it the odd time in papers thinking the English editors etc, but this is becoming all the fecking time now and I just think it's crap tbh. Am I missing something?

It sounds completely stupid and unnatural in reporting when you hear an Irish accent come out with an - before horrific etc and yes you can notice the effort it took to say that rather than the normal Irish way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

what an sh!t thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You've far too much spare time on your hands if this bothers you.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

This is not a important matter.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

"I have an erection"
    "I have a erection"

Which one sound right to you OP??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is an English forum where you can discuss the merits and issues you may have with certain words and phrases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Bothers me more how Irish politicians can't pronounce the words million or billion, they say "millen" and "billen" instead. I've no idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

KeithM89 wrote: »
    "I have an erection"
    "I have a erection"

I have a horn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

"I have an erection"
    "I have a erection"

What if the op's a women?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

done and dusted Biko, cheers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

BOHtox wrote: »

She should call over to my house and fix it then....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Bothers me more how Irish politicians can't pronounce the words million or billion, they say "millen" and "billen" instead. I've no idea why.

Because they don't understand the figures.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭rednik

An Taoiseach.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

An hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

If they're speaking english, they may as well speak it properly, regardless of what nationality they may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

"I have an erection"
    "I have a erection"

I have a stonking hard on

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

IF
    serious discussion GOTO here
    ELSE
    continue

rednik wrote: »
    An Taoiseach.:eek:

Dat last one:pac:

"I have an erection"
    "I have a erection"

Neither ffs.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Or how about cot?

Which could be used to describe a child's bed; but not how Garda O'Brien apprehended a criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

This is not a important matter.

I see what you did there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sounds fine to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Jay D wrote: »
    Yeah you know the word that you put before a vowel

Before a vowel sound. There's a very important difference.

or some few exceptions such as hour, honour, etc., well what is it becoming an absolute norm in media for?

The only occasions where 'an' was correctly placed before words beginning with 'h' was when the words in question were of Latin origin. For example, in Received Pronunciation (RP) English it was correct to say 'an historic' because the word derives from Latin and thus people dropped the 'h' in pronunciation. In RP English today, however, 'A' rather than 'An' is the preferred prefix according to the OED. You'll still hear regional accents in England say 'an hotel' and the like, but it is more correct to avoid it now.

In Hiberno-English, however, the 'h' was always pronounced. Accordingly, it was never correct to say 'an historic' or 'an hotel' here.

It sounds completely stupid and unnatural in reporting when you hear an Irish accent come out with an - before horrific etc and yes you can notice the effort it took to say that rather than the normal Irish way.

I agree entirely. They think they are more correct for saying 'an' but they're really showing their lack of education up. Likewise with people who use 'whilst' rather than 'while'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I doubt the OP is several women at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Dionysus wrote: »
    Likewise with people who use 'whilst' rather than 'while'.

How about a couple of examples of when to use whilst vs. while, and also whom vs. who.

Much obliged governor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

You don't say 'an' before 'horrific'. You only say it when the word starts with a vowel SOUND. In hour and honour, the beginning h is silent, so you use the an. Also why you would say 'a one-handed man' not 'an one-handed man' (since 'one' starts with the SOUND of a consonant - ie 'w')

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Then the OP could be this hot looking chick...
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08/21/article-1208012-061F1698000005DC-881_468x545.jpg

Anyhow, OP who gives an fupp whether a or an is important?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

kbannon wrote: »
    Then the OP could be this hot looking chick...
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08/21/article-1208012-061F1698000005DC-881_468x545.jpg

Anyhow, OP who gives an fupp whether a or an is important?

Well I thought it was ok when you had kids newspapers like the Sun and the like using it, but when our national media has slowly filtered and now basically adopted it, something is up and it's not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

galwayrush wrote: »
    Because they don't understand the figures.:rolleyes:

Hence their inability to understand why everyone is so pi55ed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Can I have a P please Bob!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

How about a couple of examples of when to use whilst vs. while, and also whom vs. who.

Much obliged governor.

Whilst is simply an archaic form of while. If somebody chooses to use 'whilst' over 'while' they should be consistent and use 'unbeknownst', 'amidst', 'amongst' and all the other similarly archaic (Middle English) words. There's no logic in holding on to 'whilst' when 'while' is the accepted modern form in all dictionaries without exception. Some people use 'whilst' because they believe it's the correct form in British English: it's not. All dictionaries of British English go with 'while'.

I came across this appropriate piece about using archaic words from Fowler:

'It is conscious archaism that offends, above all the conscious archaisms of the illiterate .... For the vilest of trite archaisms has this latent virtue, that it might be worse; to use it, and by using it to make it worse, is to court derision.'

H.W. Fowler (1858–1933), The King’s English (2nd ed., 1908), Chapter III. Airs and Graces: ARCHAISM

Advertisement