Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family resort

Options
  • 28-12-2010 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hey there
    I have been away with the lads for last number of years to a couple of resorts but next season I'm going to go with the wife and little one. The wife won't ski so need somewhere that has stuff to do during the day and somewhere with a good childrens ski school for a 3 / 4 year old.
    Suggestions appreciated.
    Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

You have tons of options; Would look at Austria primarily

Bad Gaestin, Saalbach, Mayrhofen would all be excellent choices.

In Switerland I would look at Saas Fee, All the runs and lifts end in the same area good for the Kids

France, Morzine or La Plagne are quite good for families

• Registered Users Posts: 46 thatsme

I would seriously consider Livigno Italy. We have skied there for the last 6 years and it is an excellent resort for families.
    The resort is located in the middle of the valley and the mountains transcend both sides - we ski Carosello in the morning and Mottolino in the afternoon. The sun is on Carosello in the morning and Mottolino in the afternoon. We use the Galli Fedele Ski school at lift 18 however there are schools at almost all of the lifts and it depends on where you are staying where you have ski school

If you check out www.skipasslivigno.com you will get links to accomodation. This year due to the change in the ryanair schedule we have found the best option to be Aer Lingus to Zurich, train to Zernez and taxi to Livigno

If you are taking the train to Zernez purchase a Swiss Pass at www.swisspasses.com and to book a taxi www.valtellinaviaggi.com also check out the Livigno Forum on www.tripadvisor.com

If you need any further info let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Thanks guys.
    Fattes, have been to bad gastein and didn't make much of it. That being said it was my first trip a long time ago and didn't think it was beginner friendly.
    I suppose the most important thing for this trip is the stuff for wife to do during the day while myself and the little one go skiing / boarding.
    Will look in to all other places mentioned. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Austria all the way - found ski school for kids to be the best. I found Soll to be spot on, had kids in ski school and creche with no issues what so ever - feel free to PM me.

Would avoid Livigno with the kids due to the long transfer, 4-5 hour on a bus is not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Ditto on the Livignio thing great resort but a 4-6 hour transfer with Kids even on the amazing Swiss transport system can not end well for all concerned.

Only reason I mentions Gaestien valley was the requirement for things to do for the wife tons of Spas and town near bye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Would suggest a bigger "towny" type resort on a rail line.
    Kitzbuhel or Zell perhaps. Plenty to do in the town during the day,and with the option of daytrips by train to Salzburg.

Like the sound of kitzbuhel alright. Near Munich and Salzburg
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

The wife won't ski

This type of behavior can be sorted out beforehand by attending the "ski-marriage course ?" :)

In the recent snow I had to carry her from the front door to the car the one time we both HAD to go out.
    She came along one year but really hated it and was in a place with deck all to do but ski and drink, and she's not a big drinker!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Like the sound of kitzbuhel alright. Near Munich and Salzburg
    Cheers.

If she is happy to head off on her own in the day then its handy to hop on the train to Zell, Innsbruck or Salzburg for a few hours for a look around while you are skiing. There is a train station in Kitz and they are regular enough.

• Advertisement

Cool. Gonna have a good look in to Kitzbuhel. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Its a good choice, just watch out for the weekend of the Hahnenkamm race, usually around the end of January.
    Town will be packed, acomodation very expensive. Great atmosphere though.

Advertisement