Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in heat

Options
  • 28-12-2010 5:47pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

My 3 year old Newfie is in heat :(.

About 10 months ago we got another dog (collie X spitz) and they sleep together in the kitchen at night. Me and the missus dont want puppies. Not enough time/money to look after another 6 dogs!

We tried separating them at night so as he wouldn't get at her but they just cried... We tried putting shorts on her but between the two of them they just took em off in the night. Any suggestions on how to keep him from getting at her?

Will be getting him neutered very soon as it's too expensive to get her done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Do you have a friend who can take one of them for the duration? Or maybe put one into kennels.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

kylith wrote: »
    Do you have a friend who can take one of them for the duration? Or maybe put one into kennels.

The problem with giving one to a friend or family is that the little one is not fully house trained and I'd feel terrible should be make a mess in someone elses house and the newfie is terribly clingy and I fear she would cry all night :o

No go on the kennels either as we live in an apartment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I think you misunderstand, by kennels the poster means you will have to put the male in boarding kennels for 3 weeks while your dog is in heat. Do you intend to breed from her in the future? You will have to keep the two of them seperated at all times until her heat is over, the best way to do this is put the male in kennels. When you own an un-neutered bitch it is your responsibility to ensure that she doesn't come into contact at all with any entire males. This basically means she doesn't leave your appartment untill her heat is over. If you are unable to control this then you should have had both dogs neutered (at least the female) long before now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Please get the female done as most of the dogs within a mile of so would get her scent, I don't want to sound harsh but your faced with this time after time and compared with other options spading would be better for the female dog cost wise you could get in contact with the blue cross and see if they could help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

There is no way around it this time as she is already in heat and can't be spayed until she is at least 2 or 3 months out of her heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Hey all,

My 3 year old Newfie is in heat :(.

About 10 months ago we got another dog (collie X spitz) and they sleep together in the kitchen at night. Me and the missus dont want puppies. Not enough time/money to look after another 6 dogs!

We tried separating them at night so as he wouldn't get at her but they just cried... We tried putting shorts on her but between the two of them they just took em off in the night. Any suggestions on how to keep him from getting at her?

Will be getting him neutered very soon as it's too expensive to get her done.

I think some places like Dogs Trust give vouchers out for reduced cost neutering? might be worth checking if you can get her done reasonably, it would just take that worry out of the equation as I am sure if she does get nobbled by another dog it will cost a fortune to have pups, and then the heartache of trying to get homes for them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I think you misunderstand, by kennels the poster means you will have to put the male in boarding kennels for 3 weeks while your dog is in heat. Do you intend to breed from her in the future? You will have to keep the two of them seperated at all times until her heat is over, the best way to do this is put the male in kennels. When you own an un-neutered bitch it is your responsibility to ensure that she doesn't come into contact at all with any entire males. This basically means she doesn't leave your appartment untill her heat is over. If you are unable to control this then you should have had both dogs neutered (at least the female) long before now.

I do not intend to breed. She is too old by now anyhow. She's 4 in a few months.
    gcgirl wrote: »
    Please get the female done as most of the dogs within a mile of so would get her scent, I don't want to sound harsh but your faced with this time after time and compared with other options spading would be better for the female dog cost wise you could get in contact with the blue cross and see if they could help

We live in a private complex. So the scent of her can go wherever it wants but they cannot get in. The only problem with getting her done is we were quoted €240 from our local vet. Where as it's only €100 for him.
    ppink wrote: »
    I think some places like Dogs Trust give vouchers out for reduced cost neutering? might be worth checking if you can get her done reasonably, it would just take that worry out of the equation as I am sure if she does get nobbled by another dog it will cost a fortune to have pups, and then the heartache of trying to get homes for them.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully we can work something out.

Thanks to all for the advice! Really appreciate it. Guess I was only kidding myself by putting it off for so long.... sigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Concerning the cost go shopping if you venture you can get it done for €120 or around that,

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

I do not intend to breed. She is too old by now anyhow. She's 4 in a few months.

Just so you know, you can spay at any age after 6 months, so don't worry about her age! (she's also definitely not too old to have a litter, unfortunately - she'll be able to have pups for years more if she isn't spayed!)

It's well worth doing as well, even in an older dog, as it means they can't get pyometra when they're older (this is a serious womb infection that is common in unspayed older bitches).

For now, I definitely think you have to separate them. You might feel sorry for them when they're crying, but trust me, crying for a few nights is a LOT better than an unwanted pregnancy. Your dog may already have done the job by the sounds of it (from what you said about putting shorts on her etc, they've already been together unsupervised since she's been in heat?). If you ring your vet fast enough (time is NB) he will be able to give her an inejction to get rid of the pregnancy if there is one... and then you can get around to the problem of preventing it from happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ferretcrazy

:eek: Our 9 month old female dog came in heat a week and a half ago, we where not quick enought to get her spayed, our male dog has been done a few years ago, I could not go throw this again, ie. keeping her under garda 24-7, How soon after her heat can she be spayed, someone told us we had to wait 3 months, but i dont want her coming back into season and starting all over again, Thanks to any advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

:eek: Our 9 month old female dog came in heat a week and a half ago, we where not quick enought to get her spayed, our male dog has been done a few years ago, I could not go throw this again, ie. keeping her under garda 24-7, How soon after her heat can she be spayed, someone told us we had to wait 3 months, but i dont want her coming back into season and starting all over again, Thanks to any advice.

Bitches on average go into heat every 6 months, for some it's a longer cycle and for others it's shorter (generally, smaller dogs have shorter and larger dogs have longer - but don't bet on it!). They can be spayed at any time during their cycle but it is not recommended to get them done while they are in heat or close to their heat. Waiting until she is roughly half way between heats is the best time to get her done, so about 2.5 - 3 months after her first day of heat. She shouldn't come back into heat in this short period of time. You can book her in now to get her done in a few months, write it in the calendar and it'll be a weight off your mind!

Advertisement