Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 7 degree on its own

Options
  • 28-12-2010 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I'm a mechanic by trade and am just finishing off a level 7 mechanical engineering degree part time.
    I also have a level 7 BSc in Management that I did part-time.
    Am just wondering, would I need to go on and do at least a level 8 to get any kind of a decent job, or would level 7 look ok on a CV, or do employers look for a level 8 for most supervisory/managerial positions, which I would eventually like to get into?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

tevion wrote: »
    I'm a mechanic by trade and am just finishing off a level 7 mechanical engineering degree part time.
    I also have a level 7 BSc in Management that I did part-time.
    Am just wondering, would I need to go on and do at least a level 8 to get any kind of a decent job, or would level 7 look ok on a CV, or do employers look for a level 8 for most supervisory/managerial positions, which I would eventually like to get into?

I can only speak for civil/structural engineering myself at the minute but I would imagine that in the current climate employers would look at a level 8 degree before a level 7 for a similar job. Most people with level 7 degrees would start down the food chain so to speak from a person with a level 8 degree. That doesn't mean they don't reach management levels though. Both would have to work hard to get to management positions.. Obviously it will take a lot longer to reach these kind of positions with a level 7.

One way of looking at your degree as being useful for managerial position is to look and see how many business/managerial modules you have taken...... at present most level 8 degrees have to have 2-3 business modules to be accredited by Engineers Ireland. Of course the fact that you already have a management Bsc is a great help, but again I would imagine that a level 8 degree person would be considered to be equal because of their degree being more valued

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭who_am_I?

I was in almost exactly the same position as you in 2002, I continued with part-time education, First a BBS, then a BSc in Manufacturing finally a MEngSc.
    I pushed on because I had the time, Now that I have a family I no-longer have endless time to put into part-time education.

What you do depends on the availability of Time to do it in the future and the necessary qualifications to achieve your ambitions, Remember that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Advertisement