Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother gives hours-old baby girl away.

Options
  • 28-12-2010 2:03pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A 27-year-old mother surrendered her baby girl to firefighters in Los Angeles on Christmas Eve, authorities said Saturday.

She told firefighters at Fire Station 46 that the newborn was just 6 hours old. The firefighters accepted the girl, wrapping her in a blanket. She was healthy and did not appear to have been neglected or abused.

Firefighters named the newborn Noel, in honor of the Christmas holiday, said Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Erik Scott.

"We are happy to state that our last report was that the infant was very healthy, and we are moved that this potentially tragic incident had a pleasant outcome," he said. "There was a sense of relief."

Both the baby and mother were given identification bracelets.

The infant was taken to an area hospital, Scott said, and would be placed in protective custody.

In California, a parent or legal guardian can surrender a newborn at fire stations and hospital emergency rooms with no fear of arrest. The law is meant to protect infants from being hurt, neglected or killed.

Am I the only one in thinking this a little messed up? Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see a baby have a life in an foster home than not have one at all but the whole idea just seems a bit 'off'

EDIT: Link

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Anything could be going on in the mother's life. Perhaps this was her way of ensuring a safer life for her child, outside of the environment they were in.

Heartbreaking decision for the mother but fair play to her, I say. It comes across as pretty selfless to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I'm happy for what the mother did. It's better than neglecting the child. She had the courage to hand the baby away.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I'm not saying what the mother did was wrong but I don't necessarily agree with the law. It only encourages people to practise un-safe sex IMO. "Oh look at that, I got pregnant... sure not to worry, I'll just drop down to the local lads and hand it over"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Am I the only one in thinking this a little messed up? Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see a baby have a life in an foster home than not have one at all but the whole idea just seems a bit 'off'

EDIT: Link
    I don't know, it would be pretty cool to grow up in a fire station.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I'm not saying what the mother did was wrong but I don't necessarily agree with the law. It only encourages people to practise un-safe sex IMO. "Oh look at that, I got pregnant... sure not to worry, I'll just drop down to the local lads and hand it over"

you believe that giving women the ability to make their childs life better by giving her to authorities will encourage unsafe sex?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Yeah, cos you'd be thinking that way if you got pregnant.

I'm sure the mother really wanted this baby, which is why she carried it to term.

Then lets say for whatever reason, she fins herself in an unsafe environment towards the ends of her pregnancy and fears not only for her life, but for that of her baby's.

So she hands it over to the fire brigade where she knows it will be safe.

Not everything is black and white.

And when it comes to most mothers with their babies, you are going against what you want and doing the best thing for the child. I'm sure this will prob traumatise this woman, the decision she had to make. But she did right by that child.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Were you there when she handed it over? You have no idea how she feels about this.

Anyways only as far back as the 70s in Ireland pregnant women were sent to Magdalene laundries,, forced to give babies up for adoption or to be raised in a convent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I think that's a bit simplistic. Like there's 9 months of pregnancy before hand as well as labour, never mind the emotional stuff. So honestly can't see people thinking, "oh now I don't have to use condoms" because of this law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

When will people learn that a baby is not just for Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

By people, you mean women! :mad:

Yeah, sure we all love a bit of un-safe sex on the spur of the moment and if we get pregnant, what the hell, we know that we'll only have to be pregnant for 9 months before delivering and getting rid of the infant to the emergency services.

Sorry, but you're a bit of eejit! :D

• Advertisement

I didn't mean in the literal term where people would say, "why buy condoms when we can just give it up" but some people might be a bit more flippant on the idea of using protection.

I'm also fully aware of the complications of having a child and not being able to look after it. My sister had an abortion in October just gone.

By people I mean people. If I meant women, I would have said women.

Dont put words in my mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Women aren't people.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

I think its more disturbing that they sold it to Elton John and his "wife"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yes because going through 9 months of pregnancy and then the agony of labour as well as the emotional upheaval involved is a doddle to begin with. It's even easier when you know you can just hand the baby over at the end of it all :rolleyes:

By people I mean people. If I meant women, I would have said women.

Dont put words in my mouth.
    "Oh look at that, I got pregnant... sure not to worry, I'll just drop down to the local lads and hand it over"

You put the words in your mouth yourself.

That wasn't in any way something that a man would say. The type of men who talk about being pregnant in the sense are definitely not the type to be giving up their baby at the end of a pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yes because going through 9 months of pregnancy and then the agony of labour as well as the emotional upheaval involved is a doddle to begin with. It's even easier when you know you can just hand the baby over at the end of it all :rolleyes:

Train tracks are ching ching, bit of cash, know what I mean?

You have just quoted all my posts which clearly state "people" - Thank you for reiterating my point.

I'm just in shock that after your sister went through having an abortion you would start a thread like this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Many stats in america have a drop in place where babys can be handed over, some of them are set up in a way which is utterly anon.

At least in this case both her and the child can get what ever help is needed.
    The mother could be with out any money or family support what so ever and this could be the best interm option or the child may go on and be adopted.

Can't believe people would slate her for it, funnily enough they are often people who are anti abortion.

• Advertisement

ro_chez wrote: »
    Train tracks are ching ching, bit of cash, know what I mean?

Haven't a clue what you mean. What exactly are you getting at? :confused:
    You have just quoted all my posts which clearly state "people" - Thank you for reiterating my point.

Yeah, if you say so. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Somehow I think it's highly doubtful that a man would make the following statement..
    "Oh look at that, I got pregnant... sure not to worry, I'll just drop down to the local lads and hand it over"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/article_64f2d022-eae7-5cbf-8332-00fefc5653ee.html
    A fire chief wants to designate Riverside County's 60 fire stations as places where parents can drop off unwanted babies.

Under a state law that took effect Jan. 1, 2001, parents may bring newborns up to 72 hours old to hospital emergency rooms and leave them without fear of arrest or prosecution, as long as the babies are unharmed. Riverside County Fire Chief Craig Anthony said Monday that he wants to make it much easier for mothers or fathers by substantially expanding the list of available drop-off points, and calling attention to them by posting signs and advertising the program.

Anthony said he will ask the county Board of Supervisors today to authorize his plan to make fire stations reception centers. If approved, within a month firefighters across the county could be taking newborns dropped off by parents and arranging for medical treatment. Later, homes would be found for the infants.

Anthony said the program is patterned after a succesful one in Los Angeles County that has taken in 32 babies since early 2002.

If Anthony gets the green light, he said he will ask the 16 Riverside County cities that, like the county, contract with the state for fire service, to become partners in the endeavor. Temecula, Lake Elsinore and Canyon Lake are among those cities. If all 16 sign up, a total of 84 fire stations would become drop-off centers.

While it is preferable to take a newborn to a hospital where immediate care is available, Anthony said, "the front door of a fire station is a heck of a lot better starting point than the back door of a business." In recent years, he said, mothers have abandoned babies outside businesses, in the hope someone would find them. A number of others have been tossed into trash bins and left to die.

Anthony suggested fire stations are logical drop-off points.

"Fire stations are a big part of our communities. There are more fire stations than police stations," he said. "They are a pretty nonthreatening environment. And firefighters are folks who, for decades, have rendered aid."

Stations already are being used in other parts of Southern California.

Los Angeles County led the way in developing a program in 2002 and, today, uses 157 county fire stations for newborn drop-offs. Ten babies were surrendered safely in 2002, compared to none in 2001, according to the office of Los Angeles County Supervisor Don Knabe, who helped deliver the program.

In 2004, more newborns were dropped off unharmed than were abandoned in Los Angeles County, 10 and eight respectively, Knabe said. Seven of the eight died. So far this year, four babies have been turned in safely compared to the one that was abandoned and died.

Because of Los Angeles County's experience, San Bernardino County Supervisors authorized a program last August. County fire spokeswoman Tracey Martinez said 67 fire stations became reception centers in December. So far, no babies have been turned in, she said.

Orange County may soon follow suit.

Ed Fleming, battalion chief of communications for Orange County Fire Authority, which provides fire service in much of that county, said promoters are preparing to ask the Orange County Board of Supervisors to designate 120 fire stations as baby drop-off centers this spring.

"Maybe we can give the babies a little better chance by offering a fire station," Fleming said. "It's not perfect, but it's better than a Dumpster."

Riverside County firefighter-paramedic Allen Schwartz said he and his wife, Veronica, were aware of similar programs when a television report last fall told the story of yet another baby being tossed into a trash bin.

"I said, 'Man, I'm sick of this.' I've got four kids myself," said Schwartz, who resides in Moreno Valley.

He decided to e-mail Anthony and urge Riverside County to adopt a program.

"If we can save one baby, one life, it's totally worth it," Schwartz said.

Anthony said he was moved by the note.

The chief is proposing to set up a system where mothers could knock on the door of a fire station and drop off a newborn any time of the day or night.

"Nobody who does this for a living is going to say, 'I'm sorry, our hours are 8 to 5,'" Anthony said. "Our crews aren't there every minute of every day because they have to go out on calls, but they always come back."

While the law guarantees immunity from prosecution only if babies are 72 hours old or less, Anthony said he would not strictly enforce that rule.

"I tell you what, if someone shows up and wants to give a baby up, we're not going to say, 'I'm sorry, that baby looks like it's 4 days old,'" Anthony said.

He said he also wants to post placards at trash bins listing drop-off locations.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Can't believe people would slate her for it, funnily enough they are often people who are anti abortion.

I am heavily anti-abortion and I never dismissed what that Mother did, just in case that was aimed my way

People actually throw babies in the bin?! Oh god...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

she must have been through hell, i admire her for this selfless act of giving the child a better chance of having a decent normal life, i do hope she has a good life from here on out, and the child will live in a family where it is loved and the best brought out, and grow to be a decent honest hardworking adult.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It seems to me there are two people abandoning this baby but only one cared enough to see that he was looked after.

Or the dad could have died, but either way I doubt anyone just gives away a baby lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_hatch
    A baby hatch is a place where mothers can bring their babies, usually newborn, and leave them anonymously in a safe place to be found and cared for. This kind of arrangement was common in mediaeval times and in the 18th and 19th centuries, when the device was known as a foundling wheel. Foundling wheels were taken out of use in the late 19th century but a modern form, the baby hatch, began to be introduced again from 1952[1] and since 2000 has come into use in many countries, notably in Germany where there are around 80 hatches and in Pakistan where there are over 300[1] today.

In German-speaking countries the hatch is known as a Babyklappe (baby hatch or flap) or Babyfenster (baby window); in Italian as Culla per la vita (cradle for life); in Japanese as こうのとりのゆりかご (storks' cradle) or 赤ちゃんポスト (baby post).

The hatches are usually in hospitals or social centres and consist of a door or flap in an outside wall which opens to reveal a soft bed, heated or at least insulated. Sensors in the bed alert carers when a baby has been put in it so that they can come and take care of the child. In Germany, babies are first cared for eight weeks during which the mother can return and claim her child without any legal repercussions. If this does not happen, after eight weeks the child is put up for adoption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Fair play to the woman, better than the alternative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I don't that such a decision would come lightly for anyone.

Advertisement