Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

When do prices fall?

Options
  • 28-12-2010 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking to by myself a new car (well a used car but new to me :) ).

I am just wondering when prices generally fall for the new year? Is it generally the first week of Jan or will I see prices falling this week?

I am trying to buy a Toyota Auris, probably 07/08 and I have no car to trade just cold hard cash :)

Thanks in advance,
    Little Miss

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Hi all,

I am looking to by myself a new car (well a used car but new to me :) ).

I am just wondering when prices generally fall for the new year? Is it generally the first week of Jan or will I see prices falling this week?

I am trying to buy a Toyota Auris, probably 07/08 and I have no car to trade just cold hard cash :)

Thanks in advance,
    Little Miss

If the dealers can get away with it then never!

Being honest the dealers don't come in on the 4th January and knock a certain amount off every car. It really depends on the car, how long the dealer has the car and how much the car owes the dealer...

What's you budget? Is there a particular reason you're looking to go for a Auris? If you're a cash buyer then you can get some very good deals...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Usually when the car is 3 years old people who bought new will be looking to change again or when a new model of the current car comes out people will look to change. There's a facelifted Auris out so this should mean there will be more available 2nd hand, however as sales were decimated in 2008 there may not be too many decent ones around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

A car worth x in December doesnt automatically drop to y in January. That day is gone I think.

As Shane says, it depends really on what the car is, how long they've had it etc.

I presume its a diesel you're after? There is a good market for small engined diesel hatchbacks at the minute, so the price of a car like this won't drop by a whole lot, if any, for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Its a question I seen asked on the forum more than a few times before. To be quite honest I sincerely don't think used cars necessairly all become cheaper on a certain date or week in January. There are other factors to consider too... Perhaps a non owner sales guy in a garage might be eager to make a bonus before year end based solely on number of units sold and hence you might be able to drive a good bargain for yourself in December. Sales of new cars might not be as strong as expected in the new year and as a result garages may not necessairly be as eager to shift a smaller than expected amount of used stock.

I sincerely think a lot is down to the customers bargaining power and you could probably play one garage off against the next to great affect. Telling each the best value for money car you saw to date, being precise with regards year, spec, mileage, service history etc and ask them straight out if they can do any better for you. Remember that your best bargaining tool is the fact that you can walk away at any stage and they more than likely need you a hell of a lot more than you need them. My over-riding point is that I wouldn't necessairly get too hung up on a certain date.

Have you got a petrol or diesel Auris in mind Little Miss Cutie?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

It really depends on the dealer, and what the auris is costing them.

In a straight sale next year i would expect an 08 Auris to make around the 11,00mark, with an 07 in the region of about 8500-9000. It really all depends on condition milage and spec

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

It really depends on the dealer, and what the auris is costing them.

In a straight sale next year i would expect an 08 Auris to make around the 11,00mark, with an 07 in the region of about 8500-9000. It really all depends on condition milage and spec

€11k would be a good deal for a clean 2008 model with lowish miles.

There's 80 07/08 diesel Auris's on Carzone at the moment. If you put the work in then you'll get yourself a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I am thinking of a petrol, purely because the 1.4 diesel has been rated as very sluggish and I don't do huge mileage so the petrol prices won't cripple me.

I am looking for a Luna spec with a budget of €10.5k-€11k.

I seen a couple of nice cars but dealers seem to value them a bit high, ie 11.5 for 07 clean with low mileage.

I need a car (currently driving a borrowed car) but no enough to pay over at odds.

Thanks to everyone for your advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Would you not look around for other cars too? I'd much prefer a Focus, or even a Kia C'eed over the Auris if it was my money.

Good value to be had in Seat Leon's at the minute too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Cars can often be cheaper in November / December to generate cash-flow at a quiet time of year than the following January / February / March when the world and his mother are out looking for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Excluding company cars, most new car sales involve a trade-in so within a few weeks of Jan 1 any dealer who shifts a lot of new cars will have an equivalent number of secondhand cars in the lot waiting for buyers like you.

Best to keep an eye on your local dealers and if you notice a lot of decent-looking secondhand cars it might be time to pay them a visit and see what they have to offer. With no trade-in you'll be very welcome and remember to drive a hard bargain, they've already made most of their their profit on the new car so you're in a very strong position if you look like someone who'll take the trade-in for cash rather than have it clogging up the lot for weeks on end and you won't be landing them with a useless 00/01 banger that they'll have to offload.

• Advertisement
Advertisement