Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike for Ballyhoura + Derroura

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Anyone? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

The Carrera Vengeance Ultimate 20" Mountain Bike features high specification, full Shimano Alivio 27 speed gearing for optimum performance riding when cycling cross-country. With full branded Shimano disc brake rotors combined with aggressive 26" MTB tyres the Vengeance Ultimate offers the rider superior braking and stopping power when required.
    Features & Benefits of the Carrera Vengeance
    • Lightweight and strong 6061 disc specific aluminium frame with profile tubing, for an easier, faster ride
    • Rockshox Tora TK fork with 120mm travel and lock-out facility
    good fork manufacturer
    good price reduction
    • Shimano 27 speed gearing with Alivio rear mech, great for hill climbing
    have not heard of Alivio,
    • New Shimano AM-445 hydraulic disc brakes provide strong and powerful, braking performance
    required for MTB tracks
    • Light but strong double wall alloy rims
    • Aggressive 26" x 2.1" MTB tyres for extra grip on uneven trails and forrest rides

do a comparison with a Giant MTB for the same price and try find out where Alivio comes in teh shimano line up : e.g for road bikes the basic is integra, then 105, then ultegra, then durace

most mtb have Shimaon XT or XTR, so ind out where does Alivio fit in

basically the bike has the essentials IMO

hope this helps:

Thanks or that, I found this:

Deore and Sram x5 are better than alivos...Shimano Mountain Group Heirarchy

XTR
    Deore XT
    Deore LX
    Deore
    Alivio
    Acera
    Altus
    Tourney

I have tourney's on my current bike lol, but I've had no problem with it so id say the Alivio would be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Is alivio not an 8-speed groupset? It is on my friend's trek fx anyway, maybe this is a newer version. Anywho, alivio seems solid enough to me, especially at that price although I haven't used it off-road.

All round the bike seems pretty well specced for the price, make sure it's built properly though, I'm sure you know what halfords are like in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

gets good reviews from a guy who reviews budget bikes at bikeradar, heres a a thread. Tempted to get one for commuting in bad weather.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16523714

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

was looking at this myself seems like a great bargain for hydro disk brakes and a good frame + fork if its still at this price in 2 months il buy it, although i might give a crack at building it myself as i cant imagine halfords are all that thorough :rolleyes:
    also ive seen some really good reviews on carrera bikes they actually seem really good for bargain bikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 roc_racer

Its a reasonable spec. and good value for money.

I think its heavy at 15kg but the golden rule is light,cheap,strong pick any two.

was looking at this myself seems like a great bargain for hydro disk brakes and a good frame + fork if its still at this price in 2 months il buy it, although i might give a crack at building it myself as i cant imagine halfords are all that thorough :rolleyes:
    also ive seen some really good reviews on carrera bikes they actually seem really good for bargain bikes
    I was looking at that bike, went in today... jaysus, wouldn't go near it. It's not a patch on the "Ultimate". I'm actually thinking of building at this stage now, nobody seems to have the bike perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

mtb_kng wrote: »
    I was looking at that bike, went in today... jaysus, wouldn't go near it. It's not a patch on the "Ultimate". I'm actually thinking of building at this stage now, nobody seems to have the bike perfect.

for the price of it though its very well speced and yeah id nearly assemble one of those myself as i wouldn't trust halfords

Advertisement