Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bike rack for a hatchback?

Options
  • 27-12-2010 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭

hey guys im stuck driving a 2000 ford fiesta at the moment and im in need of some sort of bike rack for it (if they even exist) as i cant fit the bike in the back without removing both wheels which is a bit of a pain, has anyone got any suggestions? the car also doesnt have a hitch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Shouldn't be difficult to sort....

either a roof-rack type, or try Halfords for a varient that fits a H/B. Some racks are high mount, others low mount, to allow a clear view thru the rear window........you should be able to get sorted easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Hollywood and Thule (main car rack manufacturers) have racks to suit. A rear door mounted Hollywood rack starts at about the €70-75 in LBS's afaik. n The Thule racks are more pricey, as they conform to more Euro traffic laws. If you go abroad, go high, as the rear number plate cannot be obscured in most Euro countries (probably will be the case in Ireland soon too, so a high carrier should be better).

I would also go with a reputed manufacturer. Bike racks are put under huge stresses just by mounting a bike and driving down a smooth road at 50kmh, nevermind our roads. Would you risk your pride and joy by putting it in the hands of an untested/proven rack?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jpt77

http://www.micksgarage.ie/ is a great website. Ordered a roof-rack, roof-box and bike-rack this year. next-day delivery. They have online help chat thingy. Excellent service. Irish company aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

I have one of the below linked racks for sale if your interested.
    http://www.eurocycles.ie/Car_Racks/Avenir_Montana_3_bike_boot_fitting_rack/446_p.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

thanks for all the help guys its great to know its even possible with such a small little toy of a car :D im looking at this myself as its made by thule which is a reputable brand right? will most good lbs's have bike racks for hatchbacks like mine?
    davey101 are Avenir a good brand? (someone else help me here as well ;)) how much you looking for it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Avenir and Thule are reputable brands for bike carriers. The equivalent Hollywood rack to the Thule linked is €20-25 cheaper, while being no worse than the Thule

how much you looking for it?

Its yours for €50

il get back to you on that davey101 where you located?

Im in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

im in the same boat as you , in terms of good brand etc, the Thule freeway 968 sounds the best to me

• Advertisement

davey101 wrote: »
    Im in Tallaght.

i dont think id be able to make it up to tallaght as its a bit of a trek from tralee sorry davie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I use a Saris bones, pretty much adaptable to any type of car which suits me as I'm always borrowing and using a different car.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=saris+bones

Advertisement