Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Before & After: New audio setup in MX-5

Options
  • 27-12-2010 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I put a post up a few months ago asking for advice on how to fit a new single DIN audio system in my 2002 MX-5 (which I can't find now)

Anyway thought I'd give you some info about where I got the bits and the before and after pics - I think it looks pretty good and the new cubby hole will be very handy.

Anyway I bought this kit online which contained the cables, the mount, the cubby hole and a Sony CDX-GT35U system for 73 sterling plus shipping (cost is about 100 euro in Halfords for the audio system alone, plus 16 for the cables and 30ish for the cubby)

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/mazda-20012005-stereo-fitting-with-sony-cdmp3usb-auxin-player-p-24249.html

Anyway here are the before and after pics :)

jiyp02.jpg

2llbwc3.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Looks good, any noticeable difference in sound? I was going to buy an aux interface off those guys but I might just buy a new head unit with an aux input instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Looks nice but watch out for where that cd case ends up when you hit the accelerator..it might land under the brake just when you need to use them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I thought the original system that was there was reasonable tbh, but I do think there is a noticable improvement - audio seems richer and there is decent control on the various sound effects. Haven't been out for a spin yet and can't really test it that loudly without annoying the neighbours! :P

There are really good reviews on this particular Sony unit if you do a google ...

The USB input is dead handy, and it's very straightforward to either search for tracks or navigate through music folders.

vectra wrote: »
    Looks nice but watch out for where that cd case ends up when you hit the accelerator..it might land under the brake just when you need to use them :o

Yeah you're right, I just put it there so you can see there is a hole, wouldn't necessarily come out in the pics. I was looking for ages for those 6 drawer CD holders which fit into single din holes but haven't been able to find one that's not in China!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Glowing wrote: »
    Anyway here are the before and after pics :)
    Great, good job. However I prefer the look of the original radio ;).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

/ocd kicks in

OMG where is the cig lighter! :o

Looks good, how long was postage etc? Was going to buy some things off those guys in the New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Nice work Glowing. Looks to be finished very well. Its nice when someone posts up a thread to show how they resolved a problem or how a scenario panned out. Shame about your choice in radio station though:p

Shame about your choice in radio station though:p

LOL I noticed that alright, wondering if someone was going to pick up on that :D

I quite like Spin 103 when I'm in the mood, the roof is down and I'm on the open road :cool:

Delivery to Rep. of Ireland was very expensive, so my hubby got it delivered to his office up in Belfast - I think it cost 12 pounds. Still a bit pricy but saved a fair bit in the long run.

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    /ocd kicks in

OMG where is the cig lighter! :o

I have it, I have it!

Seweryn wrote: »
    Great, good job. However I prefer the look of the original radio ;).

My original radio doesn't take USB unfortunately ... it looks a tiny bit neater alright .. but I'm happier with my hundreds of music folders at a touch of a button.

• Advertisement

Looks great value, USB ports are the job on headunits. Spin1038 :eek: Brings back memories that does. Did you fit that yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

New unit looks great, well done! And glad to see you're still enjoying the car you put so much thought into. The old factory unit even looks like it sounds rubbish TBH. Next up replace the standard speakers with some new better quality ones, and you won't know yourself :)

Hmm new speakers - tempting! :) Having said that, I'm very very happy with the quality of the audio now, it's fab. Was just out for a spin through town.

Husband fitted the new system, he has done it a couple of times before, and it certainly beats paying Halfords 30 quid to do it (would be afraid they'd drill a hole in my dash, or something similar)

My next two car plans are

1. Book into the advanced driving course I got for Christmas (nice!). Am very curious to see what sort of feedback they'll give me .. looking forward to a session in a skid pan too. Fun fun fun :D
    2. Get the dents fixed in the passenger door (not my dents dammit!)

Advertisement