Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michelin stars Ireland 2011

Options
  • 27-12-2010 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

So what do people think will happen to the 2010 michelin star restaurants in Ireland?? Will they keep their stars........add one......or even (:eek:) lose one!

My hope this year was the Cliff Town House Hotel Restaurant on the Green - but this will definitely not be receiving a star even considering all the 5 star reviews from the usual suspects! (IMO)

I think Guilbauds should retain its two star rating as is still amazing.......what about The Tannery as a new addition to the Michelin star Irish family???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Iolar Iontach

I think Campagne and MacNean's Bistro should be awarded a star each. I think that Bon Appetit should lose its star. There probably won't be any changes to last year, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Gregans castle deserves a star but I don't think they want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I think its a year too soon for Gareth in Campagne.

Nevin will not get a star until he realises what it is that the inspectors are looking for is just three courses cooked perfectly, he really has to stop doing everything 4-ways. A lovely guy and a great chef who is well justified of a star and I really would love him to achieve it.

I'd be of the opinion theres not even a remote question of any of Guilbauds, Bon Appetit or Chapter One changing their star status.

I think L’Ecrivain are in serious serious danger, Stephen was never replaced adequetely and Derry is never in the kitchen anymore. The place has slipped hugely imo.

As an outside shout I'd love Thorntons to get its second star back, the front of house issues have been well sorted and I think the cooking is still as stellar as ever.

I'd expect Pichet to get recognised with a Bib due to Michelins experience with Stephen Gibson and the consistancy of the kitchen he runs.

I can't see any reason why the Cliff Town House would be considered, Martijn has nothing to do with it whatsoever and the food is nothing special at all.

As an outside bet I'd throw in FortyOne at Residence for a Star, Graham is technically excellent (as all of Kevin Thorntons guys are) and the lack of confidence in his cooking as been replaced by a assured touch. An excellent chef, and I suppose wasted in a place like residence.

In general, I think Michelin will be very muted this year, a lot of resturants are not half as concerned about keeping or getting Stars as they would have been, the market has moved away hugely and the staffing requirements to maintain a star are so high that the business is simply not there to justify them in many instances. Michelin are in not going to want to rock the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hammertime wrote: »
    I'd be of the opinion theres not even a remote question of any of Guilbauds, Bon Appetit or Chapter One changing their star status.

I think L’Ecrivain are in serious serious danger, Stephen was never replaced adequetely and Derry is never in the kitchen anymore. The place has slipped hugely imo.

Agreed with both these points. L'Ecrivan has not done it for me in recent times, plus I just don't like that dining room.
    hammertime wrote:
    I'd expect Pichet to get recognised with a Bib due to Michelins experience with Stephen Gibson and the consistancy of the kitchen he runs.

Pichet is well run and it is good cooking. Not Michelin, but still v. good.

These days, I think it's a valid question to ask if restaurants want a Michelin star. It can place pressure and standards on a restaurant.

What I would love to see are more Michelin stars outside Dublin. Campagne and others could be contenders in the future.

This year, I will visit Cliff House Hotel. That's a new year's resolution from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

Have to say I think Chapter One is way over rated never lived up to the Hype.

Nevin Maguires always blows me away I know it doesn't fit the Michelin Star mould!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

What about One Pico for a star?

I've been to Thorntons, Chapter One and think the service and food in One Pico is as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

L'Ecrivain should definitely lose one - it's been awful the couple of times I was there.

One Pico is just a smidgen shy of Michelin level I think. The food is beautiful, but lacks that little bit of innovation you'd get in Chapter One and Thorntons.

I wasn't aware of Campagne, but just looked at the website and they spelled Dessert as Desert :eek:.

Not a good sign!

duckworth wrote: »
    L'Ecrivain should definitely lose one - it's been awful the couple of times I was there.

By awful, do you mean, not as good as previous visits to L'Ecrivain i.e. it was good at one point in time and the standards are dropping?

Or its just awful in comparison to other Michelin starred places you visited.

I haven't been there myself so I have no frame of reference.

I've only been twice and both times were in the last 12 months. It was nowhere near the standard of other Michelin restaurants I've been in - and a good bit lower than many of the non-starred places in Dublin.

I have heard it was much better before (it must have been to get the star in the first place) - but I can't go on experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Honestly I wasn't expecting any changes (as usual) but it seems that Chapter One lost its star (based on this: http://ireland.dinnersite.com/toprestaurants/michelin); I haven't found any official confirmation yet.

I have been to Chapter One long time ago (more than a year I think) and honestly I haven't found it at the same level of Thorton's or L'Ecrivan; okay maybe it was a bad day but you wouldn't expect bad days on michelin starred restaurants, right?

Pichet and One Pico: it's better if I don't comment (One Pico still less awful than Pichet though).

Anyway I wouldn't use the michelin guide to find interesting eateries in Dublin, given that it is very static and, when it comes to un-starred restaurants it is pretty unreliable. So far I haven't found a good guide apart from listening to colleagues/friends and weighting their opinions :(

Does anyone know something reliable and up to date about Dublin restaurants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭seniorolaighin

Honestly I wasn't expecting any changes (as usual) but it seems that Chapter One lost its star (based on this: http://ireland.dinnersite.com/toprestaurants/michelin); I haven't found any official confirmation yet.

interesting......like you said i wonder how reliable this is? i was at chapter 1 back in August and was just was good as a previous experience the year before - apart from my martini being spilt on me :D

was very determined to get back to l'ecrivain cause its been a while but doing a double take on that from the comments!

When is the new guide out? I thought it was another week away?

If Chapter One has lost a star I'd be shocked - but that website doesn't look like a reliable source to me.

Some of you people should try adventuring outside the pale sometime.

Gregan's Castle , Co. Clare and The Old Convent, Co. Tipperary are two of the finest restaurants I've eaten in and are both worthy of a star.
    The Cliff House's reputation is well known (I've not been) and with the Michelin style changing to allow for simpler food, The Tannery, Co. Waterford and Inis Mean Suites would be two to watch.

Having said that, I've not been to any of the mentioned Dublin restaurants but I have ventured far beyond my doorstep in search of great restaurants.

Anyone else had stunning, star worthy meals around the country?

Been to Chez Hans in Cashel, Rathsallagh House, Wicklow and Barbarstown Castle, Kildare in the last 2 years and all have been excellent.

Rathsallagh and Barbarstown are attached to guest house/hotel but are still worthy of a visit in my opinion.

Gregan's Castle , Co. Clare and The Old Convent, Co. Tipperary are two of the finest restaurants I've eaten in and are both worthy of a star.

The Cliff House's reputation is well known (I've not been) and with the Michelin style changing to allow for simpler food, The Tannery, Co. Waterford and Inis Mean Suites would be two to watch.

Going to the old convent next month! and the tannery in october hopefully!!

i was always impressed by les gourmandise in cork - not aiming for michelin star status i think but amazing quality all the same - and they should aim high!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭touts

Some of you people should try adventuring outside the pale sometime.

Having said that, I've not been to any of the mentioned Dublin restaurants but I have ventured far beyond my doorstep in search of great restaurants.

I've eaten in Gregan's, the Cliff house and The Old Convent (along with some starred resturants in Dublin and London). Gregans is head and shoulders ahead of the Cliff House. If it were in London or anywhere in France it would have 2 stars. That said the Cliff House well deserves it's star. They are equal, if not better, to anything being produced by the one star resturants in London. The old Convent is nice and the food is excellent but they don't give you a choice. You get 8 courses of what the chef cooks on the day and that's that. You won't be disappointed by any of the 8 courses but Michelin inspectors like to choose from a menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭touts

From http://news.michelin.co.uk/newsuk/en/news/news-detail/news/20080819113604/27863.html

1 Star
    House (at Cliff House Hotel)
    Chapter One
    L’Ecrivain
    Thornton’s (at The Fitzwilliam Hotel)
    Bon Appétit

2 Stars
    Patrick Guilbaud

Loses Star
    Deanes (Belfast)

touts wrote: »
    I've eaten in Gregan's, the Cliff house and The Old Convent (along with some starred resturants in Dublin and London). Gregans is head and shoulders ahead of the Cliff House. If it were in London or anywhere in France it would have 2 stars. That said the Cliff House well deserves it's star. They are equal, if not better, to anything being produced by the one star resturants in London. The old Convent is nice and the food is excellent but they don't give you a choice. You get 8 courses of what the chef cooks on the day and that's that. You won't be disappointed by any of the 8 courses but Michelin inspectors like to choose from a menu.

It doesn't make a difference whether you have a choice or not. Some of the best restaurants in the world - The French Laundry, El Bulli, The Fat Duck - don't offer an a la carte menu. There is only the tasting available.
    touts wrote: »
    From http://news.michelin.co.uk/newsuk/en/news/news-detail/news/20080819113604/27863.html

1 Star
    House (at Cliff House Hotel)
    Chapter One
    L’Ecrivain
    Thornton’s (at The Fitzwilliam Hotel)
    Bon Appétit

2 Stars
    Patrick Guilbaud

Loses Star
    Deanes (Belfast)

No big changes, as expected. I've never been to Deanes so I've no idea why it lost the star - although it had a recent renovation apparently. It is sad to see though - it must be heartbreaking for the people involved..

I'd say service is a big reason for certain restaurants not getting stars. I've never been to The Old Convent (going next month-can't wait!), but I've heard the service is very amateurish - i.e. local girls on school holidays etc. They say the first Michelin star is for food only, but I don't really think that's true.

I'd say service is a big reason for certain restaurants not getting stars. I've never been to The Old Convent (going next month-can't wait!), but I've heard the service is very amateurish - i.e. local girls on school holidays etc.

I've been twice and I've never had an issue with the service.

I'm not saying there is an "issue" with the service - just that it may not be up to Michelin Star level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Iolar Iontach

I've never been to Deanes so I've no idea why it lost the star - although it had a recent renovation apparently. It is sad to see though - it must be heartbreaking for the people involved.

I've been several times. I can think of a dozen restaurants in the republic which are leagues ahead of it.

If Dax; Pearl Brasserie and One Pico were in London, there isn't a doubt in my mind that they would have a star.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Re Gregans Castle; it's not my kind of food bur I'll admit it's high cuisine. My 2cents regarding the restaurant; inconsistent service where you feel you've been forgotten about, the chef wrongly corrected my oh's pronunciation of a French wine as he's a fluent speaker and every fish/seafood dish I was served was raw, seared or lightly panfried. I was heavily pregnant so surely you'd expect a restaurant of that standard to inform a pregnant woman in advance that the fish/seafood is not cooked through so I could've made an informed decision. There was no way for me to know this in advance from reading the menu.

Food alone doesn't make a great restaurant. I expect excellent service and attention to detail in a restaurant of that standard, both of which were lacking the night we ate there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Re Gregans Castle; it's not my kind of food bur I'll admit it's high cuisine. My 2cents regarding the restaurant; inconsistent service where you feel you've been forgotten about, the chef wrongly corrected my oh's pronunciation of a French wine as he's a fluent speaker and every fish/seafood dish I was served was raw, seared or lightly panfried. I was heavily pregnant so surely you'd expect a restaurant of that standard to inform a pregnant woman in advance that the fish/seafood is not cooked through so I could've made an informed decision. There was no way for me to know this in advance from reading the menu.

Food alone doesn't make a great restaurant. I expect excellent service and attention to detail in a restaurant of that standard, both of which were lacking the night we ate there.

With respect a michelin star is nothing to do with being a great restaurant, a star is awarded on the food and only the food, it is the only accrediation in the world that matters where food is concerned, no other review, award or certification means anything.

A good resturant is totally subjective, I might love very formal dining whereas you might like noisy buzzy restaurants, they can both still be great restaurants, it's simply your opinion that determines which one you rave about.

I plan my holidays based on visiting the best restaurants in the world, it's my 'thing' and what I'm into. I love eating in a 3 star Michelin, but someone else would hate it. That's fine, differences of opinion make the world a more exciting place !

Ate in two non-Dublin places mentioned in this thread as worthy of stars - Campagne and The Old Convent this weekend.

Campagne wasn't very good - nowhere near Michelin standard. Nice room and staff, but the dishes were heavily over-salted, and otherwise bland.

The Old Convent was a good step up, but the 7-course menu (advertised as 8 courses..) was up and down. There were 3 great courses, but some real stinkers as well.

Another thing I noticed was portion size - in both restaurants the portions were enormous. The Old Convent especially should be re-judging its portions. They served a very heavy and stodgy Gnocchi dish as the third course - we were stuffed afterwards. It ruined the whole flow of the tasting menu.

It's possible I caught the old convent on on off night, but I was very disappointed with the experience. I was expecting to be blown away. Campagne wouldn't hold a candle to say, Pichet in Dublin - I don't know how anyone could say it deserves a star.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Pichet in Dublin - I don't know how anyone could say it deserves a star.

Pichet was mentioned in relation to a Bib not a Star.

SBWife wrote: »
    Pichet was mentioned in relation to a Bib not a Star.

You misread my post - I said Campagne did not warrant Michelin star talk, and that it was not even on a par with, for example, Pichet in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I have never dined in a M star restaurant, and it is something I want to do when I go back for a holiday

So boardsies which one would people recommend out of these?
    Chapter One | L’Ecrivain | Thornton’s | Bon Appétit

I plan to go to Patrick G too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

hussey wrote: »
    So boardsies which one would people recommend out of these?
    Chapter One | L’Ecrivain | Thornton’s | Bon Appétit

I plan to go to Patrick G too :)

Chapter One is my all time favourite, so that gets my vote!

Another vote for Chapter One - best in the country! Difficult to get a Friday/Saturday night booking though, ring a good bit in advance.

• Advertisement

Just back from The Old Convent in Tipperary - and must say had a very enjoyable experience - food was amazing, setting was amazing, host Christine was great as were all the helpful young girls that help her out.
    It doesn't make a difference whether you have a choice or not. Some of the best restaurants in the world - The French Laundry, El Bulli, The Fat Duck - don't offer an a la carte menu. There is only the tasting available.

I've never been to The Old Convent (going next month-can't wait!), but I've heard the service is very amateurish - i.e. local girls on school holidays etc. They say the first Michelin star is for food only, but I don't really think that's true.

Love tasting menus in general so really enjoyed not having the choice - sometimes i surprise myself when something on a tasting menu which i may not normally order turns out to be a great dish!

As for the service (and i know you were only going on what you heard) - but whoever told you that more than likely has an element of snobbery that for me personally i dont like. Yes the girls were young probably ranging in the ages of 16 - 18 but were beyond competent, helpful and better than some M starred restaurants i have been - now maybe if they spoke with French accents your informer may have been more appreciative. I complimented Christine on leaving about all her staff - and she acknowledged they were young and still learning but she was very proud of them and the great job they do.
    I've been twice and I've never had an issue with the service.

On a slight deviation from the above - booked l'ecrivain for a friday night dinner in may - but going to cancel it again. Was a little put off when booking about only having a choice of two times to sit and having to be out of my table by 21:15.......if i wanted a dining experience like that id go somewhere non M based. Decided on Thorntons after that anyways........sitting at 8 and no pressure on time to leave - like it should be.

Advertisement