Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just Hit a Huge Pothole ;/

Options
  • 27-12-2010 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

At around 0800 i was driving N17 towards Galway from Tuam when on bend hit major pothole my alloy is a little bit bended and tyre is fecked up badly ;/ So need new tyre, fixing alloy and probably steering rack or wishbone ;/ Car is '04 Lexus IS 200 ...

Any stories with potholes u got there ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Yep, driving to school one morning I hit a bad batch of potholes, my back left tire blew out, the car went out of control did a 360 and went backwards into a wall. E700 worth of damage, tbh I was just glad that no one else was coming or even worse walking along the road. Gave me a hell of a case of whiplash though, couldn't move for days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Yep, driving to school one morning I hit a bad batch of potholes, my back left tire blew out, the car went out of control did a 360 and went backwards into a wall. E700 worth of damage, tbh I was just glad that no one else was coming or even worse walking along the road. Gave me a hell of a case of whiplash though, couldn't move for days.

Driving to school? In my day we walked or took the bus.... that was only 8 years ago! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Onkle wrote: »
    Driving to school? In my day we walked or took the bus.... that was only 8 years ago! :p

My school is 13 miles away from me, no bus, I was a school leaver and went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Hit a pothole that was so big that when I got an instant flat from it, bounced around the corner(to the only safe place to stop) there were 2 others cars there already with blowouts. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Shocking.

I don't want to be unduly pessimistic, but I fear the pothole situation will only get worse. Badly constructed/maintained roads, severe weather and state bankruptcy will all combine to ensure Third World driving conditions in some areas.

After last winter's big freeze I did some driving around Northern Ireland. These days there are no visible signs of a border (except speed limit signs in some places), but when you find yourself driving on rutted cratered dirt tracks all of a sudden you are left in no doubt as to what country you're in.

pothole.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭doOh

and I just changed to my spare tyre which has hmm around 0.5mm of thread ... Too bad i didnt notice bump on tyre when i hit pothole I would ring guards and make them write a statement and then sue city council ... Next time bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

are the council not responsible for this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

pm. wrote: »

Not unless they've previously fixed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭gondorff

Just look where you're going. I've seen loads of potholes... haven't hit any though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

pm. wrote: »
    testicle wrote: »
    Not unless they've previously fixed it.

Non Malfeasance

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/malfeasance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I had 2 tyres blow out on me a few years back after driving into a pothole, got onto the council and they compensated me. Not to the full value of the tyres, think it was about 40 short, but better than nothing....

Won't hurt to make a phone call...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Not a pothole but I was driving a golf I had. It was lowered. Heading down church street in Dublin and they had dug the road up leaving the square manhole covers still raised a few inches above road level. I drove over it without seeing it and it tore a chunk out of my sump. Cue no oil left in 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I hit a crater on the Galway side of Moycullen on the N59 a year back, just after the floods. I was doing probably 80km/h, and the bang frightened the snot out of me. Amazingly enough the wheel (& even the tyre) were unmarked, although the tracking was knocked out by a bit. I'd been doing a bit of reading before that on wheels, and had been concerned to find that the 17" wheels on my car were about 4kgs heavier each than average - guess I found out why.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Hit one which snapped my front spring just before Christmas - car still off the road :(

macroman wrote: »
    Hit one which snapped my front spring just before Christmas - car still off the road :(

:( awful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

if you present the alloy and tyre to the council, they will pay for it with a bit off arguing and legal talk. they will try to wiggle out at first.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I lost a *steel* wheel and a windscreen (chip I'd not noticed turned to a huge crack) to a pothole in January. Company car though, not my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭colm1234

it sickens me the state of the roads in this country also looks like they did not even bother gritting or salting anywhere over xmas why do we even pay car tax, its very clear its not being spent on the roads thats for sure, also NCT why ? give the roads an nct first you arse holes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I would love to know the detailed statistics regarding the number of cars failing the NCT on test items that could be linked to road quality, eg potholes.

The aggregate NCT results for 2007, 2008 and 2009 show that 'front suspension' appeared in the top three failure items in each year.

Could that outcome be directly related to Irish road conditions?

I wonder what was the exact number of vehicles that failed because of this particular item, and how might this number compare with vehicle inspection tests in other countries?

It is unfair that motorists can be prosecuted in Ireland for driving a car that has not been passed as roadworthy, yet no one is made accountable for ensuring that our roads are car-worthy.

Car testing was made compulsory in Ireland in order to comply with an EU directive. Is there a similar directive that can be invoked in order to force Irish authorities to make our roads comply with a minimum European standard?

In my dreams there is a National Road Test which assesses the state of our roads on a regular basis. If a stretch of road does not meet a certain standard, the responsible official in the relevant local authority or the NRA is made directly accountable for the failure.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Blew a tyre, buckled and cracked my wheel all in ONE pothole.. Was very very pissed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Gregsor

gondorff wrote: »
    Just look where you're going. I've seen loads of potholes... haven't hit any though.

Whats the secret then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Onkle wrote: »

Pfft, in my day we were so poor we walked to school barefoot :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hit a monstrous pothole in Swords today, luckily no damage.

Coming the opposite direction cars were bouncing in and out of it :(

Gregsor wrote: »
    Whats the secret then?

Hovering car from 24th century ...

PS Another pothole popped out during night on N17 ... actly dozenz of them.

Claregalway getting worse not to mention Tuam ;/

Advertisement