Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice from females living with a VCH long term?

Options
  • 26-12-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

I'm planning to get a vertical clitoral hood piercing done, but would like to hear from anyone who's living long term with one. I've done a fair bit of research, but you can't beat hearing it from the horse's mouth & I don't know anyone who already has it. :)

I've a few piercings already (nipple, septum, nape, wrist, tragus) so am big & bold enough to take a few seconds of a pinch and do the salt soaking after. I'll be going to Steve (or possibly Rob) in Snakebite. So the getting-it-done part doesn't worry me. :cool:

I had a bit of a chat to Steve about this a few months ago, but we actually ended up talking about PA piercings more, so I didn't find out too much about the aftercare for a VCH. Endless salt soaking is far more likely to put me off a piercing than getting my pants off & having needles poked around there! But then I do really want to get this done, so I will do whatever soaking is necessary, just want to know before I go back to Steve what I'm signing up for.

I've read it's best to get it done the week after your period, and avoid cycling for a few days. Anything to add to this in your experience?

Once it's healed, can you take it out for a few hours / days without it immediately closing up? Just wondering for things like going into hospital, if I ever got pregnant etc. (This is not imminent or likely, but thinking waaaay ahead...)

Long term, does sensation stay much the same?

Anyone had a VCH grow-out? I wouldn't mind a scar from an aesthetic point of view, but I suppose a lack of sensation in scar tissue later on isn't too appealing.

Finally, anyone gone into a laser hair removal session with a VCH / other such piercing? I'm halfway through a package for a hollywood; just wondering if there's any issues around the lasers & the metal? If so, I'm gonna have to wait until June or July to get this done. Was your lady-gardening an issue before you went for your VCH piercing? Is 100% smooth a requirement for the piercer to see what's going on? I'm sure Steve will be as professional as ever whatever the state of the garden, but I'd like to be considerate for him too! :p

I don't want to hear how sore it will be, or that you don't like the look of them etc. I really just want to hear from other women who already have one, and can give me an idea of any cons I should be aware of longer term! ;)

Thanks in advance! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

I'm planning to get a vertical clitoral hood piercing done, but would like to hear from anyone who's living long term with one. I've done a fair bit of research, but you can't beat hearing it from the horse's mouth & I don't know anyone who already has it. :)

I've a few piercings already (nipple, septum, nape, wrist, tragus) so am big & bold enough to take a few seconds of a pinch and do the salt soaking after. I'll be going to Steve (or possibly Rob) in Snakebite. So the getting-it-done part doesn't worry me. :cool:

I had a bit of a chat to Steve about this a few months ago, but we actually ended up talking about PA piercings more, so I didn't find out too much about the aftercare for a VCH. Endless salt soaking is far more likely to put me off a piercing than getting my pants off & having needles poked around there! But then I do really want to get this done, so I will do whatever soaking is necessary, just want to know before I go back to Steve what I'm signing up for.

I've read it's best to get it done the week after your period, and avoid cycling for a few days. Anything to add to this in your experience?

Once it's healed, can you take it out for a few hours / days without it immediately closing up? Just wondering for things like going into hospital, if I ever got pregnant etc. (This is not imminent or likely, but thinking waaaay ahead...)

Anyone had a VCH grow-out? I wouldn't mind a scar from an aesthetic point of view, but I suppose a lack of sensation in scar tissue later on isn't too appealing.

Finally, anyone gone into a laser hair removal session with a VCH / other such piercing? I'm halfway through a package for a hollywood; just wondering if there's any issues around the lasers & the metal? If so, I'm gonna have to wait until June or July to get this done. Was your lady-gardening an issue before you went for your VCH piercing? Is 100% smooth a requirement for the piercer to see what's going on? I'm sure Steve will be as professional as ever whatever the state of the garden, but I'd like to be considerate for him too! :p

I don't want to hear how sore it will be, or that you don't like the look of them etc. I really just want to hear from other women who already have one, and can give me an idea of any cons I should be aware of longer term! ;)

Thanks in advance! :D
    Ok, I'll skip the usual, I'm not female, haven't got a VCH, but I've done enough and followed them up so I should be able to answer most, if not all, your questions.
    1, Healing is fast, if its done with a blade needle, then very fast. It doesn't need soaking, just a saline wash twice a day is sufficient. Strange a sit may seem but the skin you're getting pierced is very like that of your earlobes, piercing pain etc is around the same.
    2, Just after your period is best. It's also the best time to have your navel and nipples done too(hows that for trivia)
    3, Taking it out varies from person to person. Some close very quickly some don't. If you need to go to hospital then I recommend Bio-Plast. This is also what I would recommend for lasering too. The laser isn't the problem, it's the operator.
    4, Long term sensation, if its done right is better, from what I've been told a LOT better.
    5, Never heard of one grow out. Again it varies from person to person but a good piercer should go a long way to minimising the risk.
    6, A light trim is a help but once you know what you're doing you can manage regardless of the vegitation.
    One final thing, have you actually checked to see if your anatomy is suited to a VCH? Not every woman is. If you can slide a lubricated cotton bud under the skin, usually to a depth of the cotton head then you're fine. It is a help to check before making your appointment as it can save you dissapointment or stop you from thinking that your piercer isn't up for the job. Somtimes they are but your body isn't. I hope this has answered most of your questions. Now go and enjoy the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Hi Pierced Off, thanks for your advice (& the trivia too!) :D Do you mind if I ask a few follow up questions?

How long do I need to do the saline washes for? I've read that a VCH can heal within a week, but can be up to 4-8 weeks. Should you continue with the wash for 8 weeks?

When you say the laser isn't the problem, it's the operator, do you just mean not to freak out my beautician with unexpected bits of metal? If you know what a hollywood bikini is (100% off :eek:), you'll know that she's not shy :p so I just wanted to be certain that there's not likely to be sparks or overheating metal etc. when the laser meets the jewellery! I can get a bioplast bar if needed.

Thanks also for the advice on the ladyscaping situation! I'm generally well maintained :cool: but just wanted to check out what the "done thing" is! I'd be scarlet if the piercer sent me off for a wax! :o

Haven't done the Q-tip test yet (none to hand) but from a precursory glance I think I'll pass. Will check it out when I get my hands on some Q-tips!

Looking forward to getting it done now! Hurray! :D Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Hi shortie_chik, I've had my VCH for about 3 years now and I got it done by Steve in Snakebite as well. He will no doubt go into detail with the aftercare with you when you get it done, but I found that out of all my piercings it was the quickest and easiest to heal, like Pierced Off said there was no soaking required, just a wash twice a day.

Both are good ideas, the area is a little sensitive when first done so I'd imagine cycling wouldn't be fun at all. It's also best to get it a few weeks before your next period just to minimise the hassle. or maybe skip a cycle if you're on the Pill.

When mine was about 1.5 years old i took it out for an MRI for about 4-5 hours without any hassle putting it back in. However! Steve/Rob screw these things in TIGHT! That's great because you don't have to worry about it falling out, it did pose a problem for me when I tried to remove it by myself! So just be aware that a return visit to Snakebite might be necessary to loosen it just enough so that you can remove the jewelry by yourself. Bioplast is also an option.

Yep, no problems whatsoever with sensation over time.

Never had this happen so can't help you there!
    Finally, anyone gone into a laser hair removal session with a VCH / other such piercing? I'm halfway through a package for a hollywood; just wondering if there's any issues around the lasers & the metal? If so, I'm gonna have to wait until June or July to get this done.

Fraid not, but you could ask the laser clinic about this, they've more than likely dealt with it before!
    Was your lady-gardening an issue before you went for your VCH piercing? Is 100% smooth a requirement for the piercer to see what's going on? I'm sure Steve will be as professional as ever whatever the state of the garden, but I'd like to be considerate for him too! :p

I sincerely doubt 100% smooth is necessary but I did make sure that things were tidied up, just like I do when I'm going for a smear or something, it just seems to be the polite thing to do! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I have mine for 12 years. No problems at all healing, no problems with growing out. I have only taken it out once, and it was tough to get back in, but it was awkward not closing up. No loss, or for that matter change in sensation.

nuts to any piercer would want you 100% smooth for the event. seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

When you say the laser isn't the problem, it's the operator, do you just mean not to freak out my beautician with unexpected bits of metal? If you know what a hollywood bikini is (100% off :eek:), you'll know that she's not shy :p so I just wanted to be certain that there's not likely to be sparks or overheating metal etc. when the laser meets the jewellery! I can get a bioplast bar if needed.

I think what Pierced Off meant was that the laser should not be making contact with your piercing, but if it does then its the laser operator not doing their job right.

• Advertisement

Hmmm... I've been thinking about the lasers a bit more, and it's drawn to the dark hair root in the pale skin. So the light is likely to be drawn to a visible dark piece of metal; maybe just covering the jewellery would be ok. Will check it out at my next appointment! Thanks for the advice folks! :)

Finally the planets have aligned, the time was right, and I got my VCH done this week! I love it. Can't stop checking it out :D Thanks for the advice folks!

Advertisement