Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Low Fat Milk

Options
  • 26-12-2010 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

i've been buying Tesco's low fat milk for years, but a new batch ( 5 cartons) i bought for the christmas period is awful. When i was making a cup of tea, i noticed it was overly thick, like pouring washing up liquid, at first i thought it was just more creamy than usual, but tonight I poured a glass to drink on its own and it felt as though I had egg yolk in my mouth it was so thick. Its not out of date. All 5 cartons are the same.

I bought this batch in the Dunmore, Waterford branch, did anyone reading this buy from there over the christmas period and experience similar situation ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Not sure if it goes thick but milk which is frozen and then defrosted tastes horrible to me, we had some milk in work which froze as it was left outside too long in the cold.

I never noticed thickness though. Often they now add in proteins into skimmed or low fat milk to make it taste less watery, maybe they added too much in the batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i've sent an email to tesco, will see what there explanation is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RJC09

i have stopped buying tesco brand milk because i found the quality decreased all of a sudden. i bought a few different bottles in different stores and they were all awful.

would love to hear tescos explaination for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

we too have stopped buying Tesco milk , it's very short dated and we found it went off often before the sell by

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lanybleu

johndoe99 wrote: »
    i've been buying Tesco's low fat milk for years, but a new batch ( 5 cartons) i bought for the christmas period is awful. When i was making a cup of tea, i noticed it was overly thick, like pouring washing up liquid, at first i thought it was just more creamy than usual, but tonight I poured a glass to drink on its own and it felt as though I had egg yolk in my mouth it was so thick. Its not out of date. All 5 cartons are the same.

I bought this batch in the Dunmore, Waterford branch, did anyone reading this buy from there over the christmas period and experience similar situation ?

Thanks

I bought 3 2ltr bottles just before Christmas from Mitchelstown Tesco and all three bottles were exactly as you described. This happened to me a few months ago and Tesco said they would let me know what was wrong but they never did.

• Advertisement

lanybleu wrote: »
    I bought 3 2ltr bottles just before Christmas from Mitchelstown Tesco and all three bottles were exactly as you described. This happened to me a few months ago and Tesco said they would let me know what was wrong but they never did.

i contacted Tesco using there email address (can be found on there website). I explained the story as above in my post. He asked me to return the milk, i told him it was since discarded. He asked how much i spent on the milk and is sending on a voucher to that value to me.

I sent Tesco's head office an email too, I am sure they will give me my money back, I am just a little worried they wont look into why this has happened (the second time for me) and that there is something really wrong with the milk.

I sent Tesco's head office an email too, I am sure they will give me my money back, I am just a little worried they wont look into why this has happened (the second time for me) and that there is something really wrong with the milk.

he said to me that they can only look into it if i had kept the milk carton as the batch numbers are on the cap with the date.

he said to me that they can only look into it if i had kept the milk carton as the batch numbers are on the cap with the date.

I will let you know what happens with mine, as I did keep the bottle tops and receipt, I also let them know I had these when I sent an email to Tesco

I will let you know what happens with mine, as I did keep the bottle tops and receipt, I also let them know I had these when I sent an email to Tesco

That would be good mate, i'd like to hear what happens. And he said he's send that voucher a week ago yesterday, i'm still waiting. Will let you know if and when it comes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

That would help but you should freeze the food sample so they can get it tested. Batch and dates will allow them to track the batch test results but better to have a sample and have it in the original packaging.

Strange that you get issues with milk this time of year especially with the cold weather, usually its just milked spoiled due to the chill chain breaking down but we have had a very cold winter unless the milk separated out during freezing nights in the back yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Don't know about low fat milk but we freeze full fat milk all the time.

after 3 weeks and no voucher delivered I again contacted Tesco, and I was informed that there was no record of me contacting them previously. The person this time apologised and said she was sending a voucher out. I got the voucher today.

after 3 weeks and no voucher delivered I again contacted Tesco, and I was informed that there was no record of me contacting them previously. The person this time apologised and said she was sending a voucher out. I got the voucher today.

So if they had a problem they wouldn't know they had a problem because most of the reported cases documents would likely go missing! That really inspires confidence if something goes wrong.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I used to always shop at Tesco but the shelf life on almost all of their fresh food has gone right down the pan in the last couple of years. They must have change their policy on shelf life. They also moved to a new central distribution centre near the airport a couple of years ago. Maybe theres a connection. AFAIK Glanbia dont make the milk any more either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

I used to always buy the Teso Slimline milk but got it before xmas and it pured like slim. My stomach turns now even to see the cartons on the shelf in the shop. Interesting to hear I'm not the only one who experienced this. I never contacted Tesco about it though I should have.

I used to always shop at Tesco but the shelf life on almost all of their fresh food has gone right down the pan in the last couple of years. They must have change their policy on shelf life. They also moved to a new central distribution centre near the airport a couple of years ago. Maybe theres a connection. AFAIK Glanbia dont make the milk any more either.

Thats strange, I thought they still sourced from 2 glanbia dairies. Ballitore and Drogheda in the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco seem to skimp on chilling, i.e. fridges are not down very low. I live right next door to a 24hr one and whenever I get icecream it is very soft, and I pick it right from the bottom. When I get milk it is not cold enough to drink right away, and those fridges are cooler than the meat fridges.

I am often in at night time and see them leaving loads of massive trolleys left out awaiting to be filled into fridges, I imagine many of these melt, since I have seen tubs of icecream with low levels in them -i.e. they defrosted and were frozen again. I have also seen mangled up pizzas which probably defrosted and were crushed and refrozen.

I never trust the use by on their chicken, I tend to go 2-3days in advance of it.

I never had a problem with their milk though, other than being not cold enough, never goes off early etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

rubadub wrote: »
    Tesco seem to skimp on chilling, i.e. fridges are not down very low. I live right next door to a 24hr one and whenever I get icecream it is very soft, and I pick it right from the bottom. When I get milk it is not cold enough to drink right away, and those fridges are cooler than the meat fridges.

I am often in at night time and see them leaving loads of massive trolleys left out awaiting to be filled into fridges, I imagine many of these melt, since I have seen tubs of icecream with low levels in them -i.e. they defrosted and were frozen again. I have also seen mangled up pizzas which probably defrosted and were crushed and refrozen.

I never trust the use by on their chicken, I tend to go 2-3days in advance of it.

I never had a problem with their milk though, other than being not cold enough, never goes off early etc.

Yep, I never buy ice cream at Tesco anymore as it's invariably all icy as if it has been almost completely melted and then refrozen. (This goes for Ben & Jerry's at any rate, which is about the only ice cream I buy :o )

Advertisement