Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do I sell a 1999 car quickly?

Options
  • 26-12-2010 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

I'm leaving the country in three weeks for 5-8 months and have decided at this late stage to sell my car before I leave. I doubt I can afford to keep it running when I return and I'm being forced to tax the car when I'm away even though it won't be used and parked on private property.

The car isn't worth much. It's a 1999 Hyundai Accent. I spent €1700 on it two and half years ago. It runs perfectly but needs new tires and rear break pads. It also has problems with the electric windows, speakers, and dials for the heaters but there's no reason why it would fail its NCT next September.

What's the best way I can sell the car quickly? The Irish alternatives to "webuyanycar" don't seem to buy cars older than 2000.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Stick it on DoneDeal for half the price of the cheapest 99 Accent up there with a good ad and lots of pictures and youll shift it. Expect to get next to nothing for it tho; especially if you need a quick sale.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Price it right. That means cheap unfortunately. It's not a valuable car so just get shot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

KarmaBaby wrote: »
    I'm leaving the country in three weeks for 5-8 months and have decided at this late stage to sell my car before I leave. I doubt I can afford to keep it running when I return and I'm being forced to tax the car when I'm away even though it won't be used and parked on private property.

The car isn't worth much. It's a 1999 Hyundai Accent. I spent €1700 on it two and half years ago. It runs perfectly but needs new tires and rear break pads. It also has problems with the electric windows, speakers, and dials for the heaters but there's no reason why it would fail its NCT next September.

What's the best way I can sell the car quickly? The Irish alternatives to "webuyanycar" don't seem to buy cars older than 2000.

Why so ?As others have said stick it on done deal for peanuts if you want it sold fast.Even by doing this there is no guarantee.I would say price it right and let someone over here look after the sale while you are gone.Whats the hurry?

P.S I would have thought that there would be shoes on the rear, not pads, but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Put it up for €300 given all of the issues above.

Someone will buy it and run it until the nct expires. I doubt anyone will go to the bother of sorting the issues with it unless they have the skills and time to bother doing it.

I wouldn't fix any of the issues as you want a quick sale and you won't get your money back

Also post 2 gives all the details for your ad but don't forget if you can put it outside your house with a for sale sign and price on it you may tempt a passer by. I've had most success selling my cars this way.

IMHO I'd take the hand off the first person who makes you an offer

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With a valid NCT and a running engine it will sell quickly if priced right, it will sell in a couple of hours if put at €250 on donedeal. I'd stick it up for €500 ono and see how it goes, with the level of calls you will get you can take offers of less. Just make the issues known as they are potentially dangerous, after that I presume you are not a trained mechanic so the onus is on them to check that it's roadworthy and for a sub €500 car you can't expect a 2010 dream machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

No point to accept the first offer tough,

I sold last year an old Matiz, with some problems. Asking price was 250e, first offer was 100e, I sold the car eventually at 170e.

500e for Accent is too much, put the price to 350e max and see how it goes.

If the price is right then you will sell the car, but do not get upset if you get some insulting offers, it is only part of the game:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

itarumaa wrote: »
    Asking price was 250e, first offer was 100e, I sold the car eventually at 170e.
    )

For the sake of 70e I would of let it go, also the OP has a strict time limit on the sale

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭KarmaBaby

jimmyw wrote: »
    Why so ?As others have said stick it on done deal for peanuts if you want it sold fast.Even by doing this there is no guarantee.I would say price it right and let someone over here look after the sale while you are gone.Whats the hurry?

P.S I would have thought that there would be shoes on the rear, not pads, but there you go.

I think the motor tax laws were revised two months ago. Once a car is registered it must be taxed continually regardless of use. Maybe someone can confirm this for me. This means the longer I wait the more more motor tax arrears would have to be paid.

Thanks for the help. I'll check out Done Deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

If I remember correcty, I sold the Matiz in 2 days time,

and if everything goes well I might give you another example today.

My Volvo, asking price 350e, first offer 150e, now asking price 260e and person is coming to see the car today. All this has happened today.

I think there are people making "offers" that have no intetion to buy, so again, no point to accept first offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I think the motor tax laws were revised two months ago. Once a car is registered it must be taxed continually regardless of use. Maybe someone can confirm this for me. This means the longer I wait the more more motor tax arrears would have to be paid.

Thanks for the help. I'll check out Done Deal.

This was talked about but I dont think its actually come into affect yet, if indeed it does at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

its worth about 100euro tho..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭feelites

seen many of them accents in decent condition for the price around 500e
    cheap cars!

dont expect to get more than 350e with all of them issues explained

get it advertised on donedeal and gumtree with nice pictures and full description (engine size, milleage, service history, extras, number of previous owners, good and bad points) and see what happen if wont get any calls then lower the price

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Sounds like a ball of scrap to be honest......sorry to be blunt and brutal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Why are you being forced to tax the car if it's not being driven?

Yawns wrote: »
    Why are you being forced to tax the car if it's not being driven?

I'll talk to the motor tax office but I've been told by a few people that the rules have changed.

with all the problems with it, and tyres needed it really is worth nothing tbh

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Sounds like a ball of scrap to be honest......sorry to be blunt and brutal.

There's nothing particularly wrong with the car other than a few trivial things with the interior, like the passenger side electric window, speakers and a dial for the heaters (which still work)

It has a full service history for the last three years. The engine is good and It's reliable. That's all most people buying old cars want.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If you are desperate for a few hundred euro cash, then by all means try and sell it now. If not, park the car off the road (on someone's driveway or in a private car park) and when you come back you'll have a car to come back to. While your car is off the road, you do not need to pay motor tax!

There's nothing particularly wrong with the car other than a few trivial things with the interior, like the passenger side electric window, speakers and a dial for the heaters (which still work)

It has a full service history for the last three years. The engine is good and It's reliable. That's all most people buying old cars want.

hyundai accents of that era are one of the, if not THE most undesirable cars on the planet.

anyone who knows anything at all about cars would want to be paid to take that

sorry if i come across as an ass, but thats the way tis..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

i had a 1999 on of them was nct,d taxed for 2mnts and had it online for ages for €350 ended up getting €80 euro was glad to see the back of it as there the worst car iv ever driven stick it on e-bay starting at a quid with a 3day auction and no reserve thats your best bet of getting rid of it at least some one will buy it and it will find its own market value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Here is a link to a variation of some of the prices of these cars.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/find/cars/for-sale/Ireland/99%20hyundai%20accent?source=all

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'll talk to the motor tax office but I've been told by a few people that the rules have changed.
    Those people are wrong.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Whats the milage?
    Depends how many miles on it at the end of the day.
    Someone crashed into my 98 accent two years ago.
    The other persons insurance company valued the car at €950 .
    It had 74k on the clock.
    Even with bad tyres and break shoes , if you have similar milage ask for €500.
    If you have twice that milage ask for10 cent or contact a scrap yard!
    Few people want high milage cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

esel wrote: »
    Those people are wrong.

It was a proposal by Noel Dempsey.

Classic Cars had a discussion on it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056108971

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    It was a proposal by Noel Dempsey.

Classic Cars had a discussion on it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056108971

Your car has value because it has some NCT left. Some of the spoiled brats on this thread clearly have no experience of driving old cars - but if it has NCT it has value. The electric window problems are an issue for the NCT, although if it is simply the usual problem of a broken winding mechanism, these are usually easy to source (scrapyard) and replace.

But your old banger has more value to you than anyone else, and for this reason I recommend that you keep it. I don't know who told you that a car needs to be taxed if it is kept on private ground but they are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

my father had a bright green 99 skoda felicia that was in very bad condition. nearly all pannels damaged no nct interior was destroyed engine not running etc. a guy from a breakers yard drove 30 miles in a recovery lorry to pick it up and gave him 50 quid for it so a running car with test has to be worth at least 250..
    seems to be very little wrong with the car that 300 euro wouldnt fix. set of tyres and new pads/shoes should only set you/newbuyer back 250ish. passengers window not opening is not an nct fail afaik but the drivers side is. plus im guessing the knob for the heater controls just got lost?? if so its prob only a few quid for a new one from a dealer if they just clip on..

as was said above ask enough but if you want a really quick sale its got to be cheap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Those people are incorrect.

Dempsey may be wanting to propose new things but it doesn't make them law. It won't cost while you're away. You may need to get insurance for it but most people don't. The reason others do is just in case it gets damaged or causes damage to nearby parked cars. Saves a whole lot of hassle if it has some insurance.

You wouldn't fancy coming home to find angry people waiting to take you to court. Also it will continue your NCB if nothing happens, and if you think about the odds of it happening is slim if it's parked in a drive and some1 is keeping an eye on it.

Have you got a family member who needs a car or someone who could use it as a 2nd car? If they can keep it going it would be better for car bear the wear n tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

unkel wrote: »
    If not, park the car off the road (on someone's driveway or in a private car park) and when you come back you'll have a car to come back to.

Would recommend the car is started by somebody and left ticking over from time to time if doing this. Otherwise you can be pretty sure your going to probably have trouble starting it when you return. Might also be an idea to leave off the handbrake too as they have being known to seize, put the car in 1st gear and chock a wheel or 2 with blocks if the cars going to be parked on an incline.

I'm minding a Yaris for my sister in this manner as she has moved to Holland. Shes home for Christmas at the moment but car has not budget as no tax or insurance on it.

Advertisement