Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In your opinion, is there anything wrong with this?

Options
  • 26-12-2010 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

So basically because it's around Christmas time a lot of meat is being cooked in our house. Obviously because I'm veggie I eat quorn and stuff. But because we only have 1 oven the meat and the quorn gets cooked in the same oven and neither are covered. Yesterday I had some quorn chicken in the oven for my xmas dinner but there was a strong taste of turkey off it. Can the food absorb the flavour from the meat and does that make it non-vegetarian?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I'm in the same situation. I'd always put the veggie stuff above the meat in the oven so juice etc. from the meat doesn't drip down onto it.

I get what you're saying, it's not a pleasant thought that you still might be eating a bit of an animal. But TBH, I wouldn't be too worried about a minuscule amount of mixing going on in an oven. It's not creating any greater demand for meat, so no extra animals are dying on my account. In terms of health, the tiny bit of splashing that might happen isn't going to impact on my health in any negative way. Ideally I'd like to avoid it but unless I'm also going to buy all my own utensils, which I keep in my own press, and use my own counters for preparation etc. a tiny bit of mixing is almost inevitable.

If you're worried, why not cover the veggie stuff? I have done that on occasion now I think about it, when it's been right next to a ham or something.

Hope you'd a good Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I suppose it depends on why you're veggie in the first place. If you believe that eating animals is wrong morally and some juice etc dripped onto your food, then yea, it's not ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

I don't see much wrong with it to be honest. The scent of some turkey permeated your vegetarian food but it hasn't changed anything... you haven't increased your reliance on or consumption of animals. The difference would be wholly symbolic.

Personally, I would be far more concerned with the eggs and the milk products as the industries which produce these things, regardless of how humane they may be, rely on the death of non-human animals to remain sustainable and profitable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Breezer wrote: »
    It's not creating any greater demand for meat, so no extra animals are dying on my account.

I wouldn't care at all.

And since you dont have to wait on the turkey you should have done what the three veggies in my house did, eat hours before everybody else :D

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

A vegan is one who adopts a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as possible and practical, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.

This is the definition for all veg*an worries that I have. If it wasn't practical to cook your dinner another then you should be o.k as your not having the meat yourself. At the end of the day, you had quorn for christmas, not meat so you should have nothing to worry about,

• Advertisement
Advertisement