Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human skull find on beach in Louth.

Options
  • 26-12-2010 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I've been meaning to post this for the last week but only getting around to it now.
    While out walking on the beach last week I came across this. It was just sticking up out of the sand. I walked right by it but after a few steps I said to myself "hold on that looks kinda strange", so turned around and went back and picked it up.
    Did a bit of google research and I'm pretty sure its the frontal bone from a human skull.
    I'd love to get some educated opinions on it.
    I doubt its recent so hardly anything sinister.
    In fact it seems very old because of the wear to the supraorbital notch -yes that is something I learned from wikipedia!
    Check out the pics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Dony wrote: »
    Did a bit of google research and I'm pretty sure its the frontal bone from a human skull.
    I'd love to get some educated opinions on it.
    I doubt its recent so hardly anything sinister.

To be honest I don't know either but should you not contact the local gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Ring the gardai, looks like might have been out at sea.
    Very interesting find!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ViDuchie

The fact that you found it on a beach should make you think twice about the aging of this possible skull section. Sand/Wave erosion on a beach could quickly add age to younger bone. no?

Personally I'd report it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Should be to the garda with that alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I would certainly report it to the gardai ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Yep, the gardai need to be notified about this. It could make a huge difference to a family out there.

Crimestoppers free phone. 1800 250025.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Dony

Fair enough.
    Thats 6 out of 6 replies that say to report it.
    Will do the next chance I get.
    I hope they follow it up and not just throw it in some dark drawer to be forgotten about again?
    Would I be told if something/nothing becomes of it no matter how trivial?
    I doubt it'd returned to me if nothing becomes of it.
    Will keep y'all posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Errr....like NOW perhaps ???

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Fair enough.
    Thats 6 out of 6 replies that say to report it.
    I hope they follow it up and not just throw it in some dark drawer to be forgotten about again?
    Would I be told if something/nothing becomes of it no matter how trivial?
    I doubt it'd returned to me if nothing becomes of it.
    Will keep y'all posted.

Depending on the personal in your local station. But they should be happy to keep you abreast of any developments.

• Advertisement

Errr....like NOW perhaps ???

Yes if it was me id be straight up to the station. Its not like fitting a new lamp that will do when i get a chance. That could be to do with someone thats disappeared or something, if its not an ancient item.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

At least pick up the phone now and ring your local garda station. Tell them what happened and see what they say.

Did you keep any note of where exactly you found it,

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Dony

Reported.
    Maybe this thread should be removed till I hear more about this.

Its completely out of context archaeologically so it cant be dated that way. I would wait for an osteologist to give it a look,I have seen medieval bones and modern bones look nearly identical in the right circumstances.

Coupled with the fact that you are close to the border and beaches have been known to be the last place of some of the "disappeared" Id say this will be hugely important.

This has been reported to the Gardai and thread locked at OPs request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement