Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tube help?

Options
  • 26-12-2010 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭

hey guys im going buying some spare tubes off of chainreactions for my 26 inch mountain bike wheels but the thing is im not too sure what kind of tubes i should be looking at, i have alexrims dp17's if that helps, im looking at these but im not sure if my wheels are presta or schrader any help would be great
    also what is the difference in size? between say 26 x 1.7-2.1 Presta vs 26 x 2.1-2.6 thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

If the valves are like those on a car they are schrader, otherwise they are probably presta. Google both to get pictures, should be pretty obvious which they are.

Check the tyre size by reading the sidewall of the tyre and get a suitable tube size.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

it looks like a schrader valve to me? (see attachment), also the side wall on the tyre's say 57-559 / 26 x 2 . 25 / HS 317 does this mean i am looking at the 26 x 2.1 - 2.6 version of the tube up above? thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

It doesn't matter which you get, presta or schradar, both valves should fit any rim (at least in my experience) so it doesn't really matter which you get (although you may need to buy a new connection for your pump (2euro) if you're using a cheap hand-pump with external valve connections. You also don't have to get exactly the right size (just in the right ball-park and make sure they're 26 inch rather than 28) because the tubes are pretty flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

it looks like a schrader valve to me? (see attachment), also the side wall on the tyre's say 57-559 / 26 x 2 . 25 / HS 317 does this mean i am looking at the 26 x 2.1 - 2.6 version of the tube up above? thanks for the help

Yes, it's schrader. Presta vales are narrower, so narrow rims tend to use them and have smaller valve holes so schrader will not always fit rims designed for presta.

It's handy to be able to swing into a petrol station and add some air without needing any adapters. So as you have the choice - get the right type.

The 2.1-2.6 should fit fine.

While you are changing the tube make sure you put it in right, the one if the picture isn't in right, the valve should be straight not slanted.

See here for details on how to fit the tube:
    http://bicycletutor.com/fix-flat-tire/

Lastly, keep the pressure close to the Max written on the side wall to help reduce lightly-hood of future punctures. The pressure will go down over time, top it up every week or two.

Advertisement