Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ECDL on mac

Options
  • 26-12-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Hows all,

I was doing a google search on Can I Do The ECDL Exam On A Mac and I couldn't quiet get the answer ....

So Im sure someone here will know :)

I have the new Office 2011 for mac as well if thats any difference!

Thanks !
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Ditch the ECDL is my best advice, it's counter-productive bollocks.

(Not trying to be mean or a troll)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Also, DO NOT support Microsoft Office on the Mac. You make the world just that little bit worse by upkeeping the horror that is Microsoft Office. Lyx is your friend: http://www.lyx.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I agree - ECDL is the biggest waste of time ever.

side note - Use word if you want, I wouldnt pay for it as open office / neo office does me.

Unless you are producing complex theorems then i wouldnt bother with latex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Naikon wrote: »
    Also, DO NOT support Microsoft Office on the Mac. You make the world just that little bit worse by upkeeping the horror that is Microsoft Office. Lyx is your friend: http://www.lyx.org/

You are recommending LaTeX to someone who is asking about ECDL exams, and how is talking about a full productivity sweet, not just a text editor.

Also, re: MS Office, Office for mac is a good product, sold at a reasonable price for home and office users. (this is coming from a user of both LaTeX and the office suite)

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

Im gonna follow the trend here and go off topic. do the ecdl. will look nice on a cv. haters gonna hate.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

o yes .... i just on now...

yeah I only doing the ecdl because of a job but I just would prefer to do it on my mac rather than using a windows pc ...

cheers for all the advise .... but im still not clear if it will work ok :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

You are recommending LaTeX to someone who is asking about ECDL exams, and how is talking about a full productivity sweet, not just a text editor.

Also, re: MS Office, Office for mac is a good product, sold at a reasonable price for home and office users. (this is coming from a user of both LaTeX and the office suite)

If it's any consolation, I think OpenOffice is far worse than Word. They both drive me insane any time I have to use them for anything above basic docs though :)

The "average" user can't go wrong by at least investigating other document processing systems. Hell, if someone actually put effort into LyX, *shock - horror* they might even like it. Just because something comes shrinkwrapped in a fancy box, does not make it an optimal solution. Each to their own and all that. Besides, Microsoft Office isn't sold at "a resonable price". 200+ euro for an office suit that basically offers the same functionality as previous versions is not a good deal. Marketing on the other hand, stems to quell my "misconception". MS Office is one of their top tier cash cows imo.

You should not be mentioning Latex to anyone doing the ECDL (no offense) - I dont even see how it fits in here considering the 100's of other text editors free and paid out there.

If you need to do any math related things yes fantastic - but outside that seriously latex?

were getting a small bit off topic now aren't we .... ?

• Advertisement

Google Docs ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm in a similar boat to OP -- have to do the ECDL to pass 1st year... Product Design :confused:

can it be done on mac :/

Version 5 of ecdl is mac compatible - I dont know what version you are on or what is the current version though and either way you have to get the materials yourself by the sounds of it.

Email someone and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Naikon wrote: »
    If it's any consolation, I think OpenOffice is far worse than Word. They both drive me insane any time I have to use them for anything above basic docs though :)

The "average" user can't go wrong by at least investigating other document processing systems. Hell, if someone actually put effort into LyX, *shock - horror* they might even like it. Just because something comes shrinkwrapped in a fancy box, does not make it an optimal solution. Each to their own and all that. Besides, Microsoft Office isn't sold at "a resonable price". 200+ euro for an office suit that basically offers the same functionality as previous versions is not a good deal. Marketing on the other hand, stems to quell my "misconception". MS Office is one of their top tier cash cows imo.

MS Office 2011 for mac is 139 euro on the mac store. MS Office is actually good on a mac, as the UI is hasn't just been hacked together from previous versions and glued together with pritt stick.

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/campaigns/office most wouldn't need the version with Outlook in it as Apple Mail is a suitable alternative for a mail client.

to the OP do the ECDL, it's no harm, just don't be expecting to be getting IT related jobs from it :pac:

€70.45 with software4students.ie.

Advertisement