Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever lived in a homeless hostel? If so, what was it like?

Options
  • 26-12-2010 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I lived in the Simon and st Vincent Hostels in Cork while there was trouble at home. I was told by some people recently they were dangerous, but I didn't feel threatened at any time.

I can remember having some of the grub, it tasted like rubber. But I suppose for someone who doesn't get the dole and is always homeless it would be alright. Though the last time I was there I got a double room and there was a women below me who reeked of drink and there was no locker for my stuff, so I paid for a hostel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

one night a long time ago. Was going through bit of a crazy time in london. It was grand. Usual stuff going on, nothing shocking.

Long time ago now. Over 15 years ago. It was a different lifetime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

I stayed in a homeless hostel in Spain, years ago, for what was supposed to be a week.

One of the volunteers tried to feel me up, and must have said something to the management when I refused his advances, for I was ejected the next day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Great craic altogether...stayed in Cedar House off Marlborough St. last NYE..
    Chasing the dragon with all my roomies...free bed AND free drugs...win/win situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I used to volunteer in a Men's hostel run by the St Vincent de Paul. Can't really say what the living arrangements were like as I didn't go near the bedrooms. The building itself was very old and bleak, but the men who stayed there were lovely and there was alot of banter and a cheery atmosphere. Most of them had pretty horrific lives, more than someone like me could imagine. However they rarely complained, and really appreciated anything that was done for them.

Working there really made me realise how much men get left behind when it comes to getting help and access to socail services. Because women usually have the children and are seen as more vulnerable it's far easier for them. However as a result men become extremely isolated, and morst often lose contact with families.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

tried a night in the Sancta Maria off camden street once. anyone see that news fella who tried one, in a room with bunkers ""wanna try this liquid hash m8 .. its gear actually" looked like the same place. woke up the next day and saw something that went unnoticed with the light off. sheets caked in blood and excrement
    CorkMan wrote: »
    I lived in the Simon and st Vincent Hostels in Cork while there was trouble at home. I was told by some people recently they were dangerous, but I didn't feel threatened at any time.

try being a Dubman in it. stuck my head in one night; encountered some embittered hostile old boys with severe mental issues

• Advertisement
Advertisement