Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fanta now suitable for vegetarians!

Options
  • 26-12-2010 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Update from Coca Cola.

The new formula for Fanta orange which came into effect last March/April means that Fanta Orange is now suitable.

For those of you who weren't aware, the old formula used fish product as a way to spread the orange colouring equally throughout the product.

That is now finished, as confirmed by Coca Cola over the phone a few days ago.

I then asked could they guarantee that all cans/bottles on shelves today would be suitable and they said no. However, any can or bottle that has the new packaging, including a sign saying "No Artificial Flavourings or Colourings" on it, is the new formula, which is vegetarian.

Lilt, however, is still not suitable.

Have to say, their consumer information guys were very helpful and got back to me as promised with detailed information and were very polite.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Great to hear, but annoying that they won't really tell you which packets are ok.

On the website:
    Are your drinks suitable for vegetarians and vegans?
    For the vast majority of our drinks, yes. None of the Coca-Cola and Schweppes brands contain milk, eggs or any products derived from mammals. However, vegans and vegetarians should note that a few of our drinks contain small traces of fish gelatine, which is used as a stabiliser for the beta-carotene colour. These products are Lilt, Lilt Zero, Relentless Inferno, Kia-Ora Orange Squash, Kia-Ora Orange Squash No Added Sugar and Schweppes Orange Squash.

http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/faq/ingredients/coca-cola-drinks-suitable-for-vegans-vegetarians.html

Also, on their website they list the Fanta ingredients as:
    Fanta

Carbonated water, sugar (from beet and/or cane), orange fruit from concentrate (5%), citric acid, vegetable concentrates (carrot, pumpkin), preservative (potassium sorbate), natural orange flavouring with other natural flavourings, sweeteners (sodium saccharin, aspartame), antioxidant (ascorbic acid) acidity regulator (sodium citrate), stabiliser (guar gum). Contains a source of phenylalanine.

http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/brands/fanta.html

A bottle I looked at in the supermarket included different ingredients including: "Beta-Carotene and Mixed Carotenes" under colours, which are not listed above. This ingredient is the one that required the isinglass. But the front of the packet says "no artificial colours" and "no artificial flavours". *confusing!* :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

They were adamant that the Fanta was now suitable and that it's the one with the "No artificial..." label on it that was suitable.

I even told them that their information would be going on the internet on a veggie forum and they said fine, no problem.

Beta carotene is a colouring nearly always found from plants. They've obviously got something else to spread that colouring around the product instead of isinglass.

So it's not too confusing, as long as you keep to the cans/bottles with the new packaging.

Also, this is the website for Ireland and Northern Ireland:

http://www.coca-colabottlers.com/Home/

And this is the Irish Fanta page:

http://www.coca-colabottlers.com/productsandbrands/sparklingbeverages/Fanta/

*cries* I don't know what the old packaging looked like. Or what is recent old... There are so many types of labels on the internet...

So, this is what I bought. And is *probably* ok...

The ingredients include 'guar gum' as a stabiliser. Maybe this is doing whatever the isinglass used to do? Then again, I don't know what the old ingredients list is...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Amazing news! I've not had an orange drink since I turned veggie, and now I can:D

Thanks so much for finding this out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Ima gonna stick with beer, I don't trust coke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Man I really wish I checked this page on Xmas day :(
    They had Captain Morgan's @ the Xmas table & I knew that with fanta it
    tasted like supersplits but I couldn't try it :( I tried it with sprite, orange
    juice & straight but mmbleuuch!

....I just had my first taste in over 3 years :o Tastes the same!!! Memories of
    macdonalds as a kid & the ice-cubes melting in it giving it a waterier taste! :P

If only lilt was able to come to the party in my mouth where it feels like
    everyone's invited!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

*cries* I don't know what the old packaging looked like. Or what is recent old... There are so many types of labels on the internet...

So, this is what I bought. And is *probably* ok...

Ok, I rang coca cola again and the packaging in those photos contains the new formula, which is vegetarian.

When I rang them the second time, he specifically said that any cans/bottles that have those 3 kind of bubbles on them that say "No Artificial..." are vegetarian.

That's a definite.

So that's the key guys, 3 green bubbles on the packaging and it's veggie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Had one due to this thread, it's just no club orange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

kraggy wrote: »
    Ok, I rang coca cola again and the packaging in those photos contains the new formula, which is vegetarian.

When I rang them the second time, he specifically said that any cans/bottles that have those 3 kind of bubbles on them that say "No Artificial..." are vegetarian.

That's a definite.

So that's the key guys, 3 green bubbles on the packaging and it's veggie.

jaysus a simple "suitable for vegetarians" or a "v" would have been sufficient, no need for the secret hidden messages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

sweet rasmus ireland and britan use different recipes. Your looking at the wrong site. They hate no way of identifying the old ones to you. So it makes sense to just tell you which ones are the new ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 jennyoo

Is club orange suitable? :eek:

I rang them again today too! Finally got through this time. He couldn't tell me if any other products they make have moved away from isinglass. With the packagaing, as kraggy said, once there are "no artificial colours or flavours", then it's ok. The shelf life for bottles is a lot shorter, so they should be grand now, but just watch out for the cans, as they have a longer shelf life and not all of them are veggie yet. Again, as kraggy said, if those "no artificial.." labels are there, it's all good!

Boards can be so useful sometimes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

The ingredients include 'guar gum' as a stabiliser. Maybe this is doing whatever the isinglass used to do? Then again, I don't know what the old ingredients list is...

Isinglass wasn't on the old list either (in fact I'm pretty it was simliar to the new one). For some bizarre reason they legally dont have to put isinglass on ingredient lists (just like bread makers who use pig pancreatic enzymes in their baking dont have to put it on their labels).

Exactly Mark! ARghh :mad:

Advertisement