Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tools - what to get, where to buy.

Options
  • 25-12-2010 5:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a some tools, any time I've wanted to do anything on the car (or elsewhere), I've used my brothers tools but he's moved a bit further away, and it's quite annoying now having to do everything with either the one screwdriver in the house, or a pair of pliers.

So boardsies, can someone point me in the right direction? Should I buy a complete set with bits of everything I need, or buy bits and pieces at a time? Should I buy online or is there a bricks & mortar shop that offer competitive prices? Is it worth buying on a budget or is it important to shell out for the best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

What sort of work are you looking to do?

If your around Dublin I find mcquilans quite good. Some of the lidl/aldi stuff is grand for diy. Try get sockets that grip on the sides and not the corners. A rail of impact sockets is a must and a breaker bar with a 1/2" drive.

Some of the guys here recommend getting the halfords sets when half price. I was in radionics and picked up a cresent set for about €60 and have been quite surprised with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Not looking to do any work at the minute, and hoping I won't need to! :) But I just need to be prepared incase anything comes up, plus I plan on doing my own maintenance work in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Halfords do an excellent socket set on special for around E124. they're at that price again - the best money I ever spent on tools and magically I haven't lost any of them yet!

halfords-advanced-professional-150-piece-socketratchet-set-17174154.jpeg

Looks good, do you think that will go down at all in price from tomorrow for the sales?

I see halfords are offering 10% all purchases until midnight tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

IMO keep an eye out for LIDL/ALDI specials. I got a toolbox with sockets, ratchets, extensions, spanners, screwdrivers, bits etc. for about 80 quid a while back. No complaints about the quality of the tools.

Then get other bits and pieces in a motor factors, McQuillans, Argos, Halfords etc.

• Advertisement

So I went to Halfords this morning, their website said they were open at 9 (this was specifically mentioned for the 27th), I got there at 10.30 and they were closed! :rolleyes:

Thankfully B&Q were right next door and I bought an identical set that colm_mcm mentioned above for €99, €25 less than what Halfords were advertising it for. :D Set can be seen here.

Delighted, it's a fantastic piece of kit. I just want to go out and rip the car apart now! :)

Advertisement