Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't forget the birdies

Options
  • 25-12-2010 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I know this should be in the wildlife forum but this fourm is getting serious viewing numbers so I hope it can stay here.

The birds are struggling big time so if you have Chrismas dinner leftovers be sure and leave them out for the birds. With the current lengthy cold spell the will eat anything.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

siochain wrote: »
    With the current lengthy cold spell the will eat anything.

Cheers

Except sprouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Have a nice birdie in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

got through 5kg of bird seed this week !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

We've been feeding the birds several times a day since mid November, and today there was a rat running around the back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,914 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Same thing happened to my parents with the food left out for the birds attracting rats. I'll probably leave some out in a hanging bird feeder though.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Also, try to provide fresh (non-frozen) water. Birds need to drink and wash in cold weather. I've got a big metal tray that I stick a little tea-light candle under to stop it freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Have never seen so many wild birds in my garden as I have today..we always feed nuts, seed...if you cant afford to feed them this make sure to give them your scrap food or left over fruit..it's very hard on them in these weather conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

bmarley wrote: »
    Have never seen so many wild birds in my garden as I have today..we always feed nuts, seed...if you cant afford to feed them this make sure to give them your scrap food or left over fruit..it's very hard on them in these weather conditions

fruit is a very good one, they went crazy over a pear the other day here. Even peals of a kiwi or apple can be used up.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

how do you hang the fruit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I have been feeding my little chirpeys since the cold snap started. Its also important they have water to drink and for a wash. I top up there water every hour with warmer water. They are happy out now the thaw is here. I took this picture the other day. I often have 20+ small birds here!!:)

00310.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

I just got an extra bag of chicken feed 25kg much cheaper and birds are mad for it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

bought a bird feeder in aldi the other day, very happy birdies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Sod buying a bird feeder but can you just throw food out in the front garden on top of the snow? Would they see nuts and that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

No better sight then a bird gobbling your nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

siochain wrote: »
    Hey Folks,

I know this should be in the wildlife forum but this fourm is getting serious viewing numbers so I hope it can stay here.

The birds are struggling big time so if you have Chrismas dinner leftovers be sure and leave them out for the birds. With the current lengthy cold spell the will eat anything.

Cheers

Lovely thought Siochain.

My wife feeds the birds out in our backyard all year round and she was only saying during the recent freeze last week that it was so important to keep the birds fed. Good of you to bring this up and remind others......

Derek

Advertisement