Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seahawks under Carroll

Options
  • 25-12-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭

O.K., I suppose I should preface this by saying that this was forecast as a rebuild year, and that winning 6 games is already an improvement on last year; and probably a tally that surpasses PC's expectation in his freshman season. Also, to be in with a sniff of the playoffs is obviously a bonus, even if it does probably say much more about the state of NFC West.

But I was wondering what people make of the Seahawks so far under Carroll?

For me, there are a number of pretty serious concerns, stemming from watching most of their games in full this season.

1. Hasselbeck - Granted he's been playing with a banjaxed left hand for the last few weeks, but his decision making seems to be on a steady decline, culminating in that horrendous mistake last week that gifted Atlanta a fumble recovery TD to go 2 scores ahead at the beginning of the third, thus effectively killing the game.

What does it say of Seattle's depth at this position that the ageing, erratic and injured Hasselbeck is favoured ahead of Whitehurst, who didn't exactly come cheap in the off season. Carroll clearly hasn't faith in his backup and was also naive to think Matt would get through the entire season unscathed. IMO he will need to make first priority the rectification of his QB situation, both in terms of starter and in terms of depth, in the off season.

2. Tackling - I haven't a stat on run yards conceded after first contact, but I would be very surprised if the Seahawks weren't near the very bottom of a table depicting same. The amount of times running backs are being met with high/mid section arm tackles is beyond belief. I know the NFL are administering a tougher policy on dangerous hits this year, but the solution isn't for a defender to throw a forearm at someone like Michael Turner's mid section, only to have it bounce off. This is worryingly basic stuff that isn't being corrected, despite Carroll being questioned on it nearly every week in press conferences.

3. Third down conversions/concessions - both of these have been noticeably weak: 20th in the former and 23rd in the latter. Too many offensive drives are ending early, too many opponent drives ending in points and, ultimately, games are being lost.

On the plus side though, the defence has been fairly OK, if unspectacular. Given the youth of the backfield this should only improve too. 12th in Sacks and 12th in Fumbles Recovered is a decent return on a head coach's first season.

Leon Washington has also been great, giving the special teams a real edge. And Mike Williams has been a massive sleeper, where the seahawks would be without him I would shudder to guess.

Maybe I'm being too critical on some of the above, as there is still a lot of work to be done in the offseason, in terms of recruitment. However, I'd be interested to see if anyone else has any views?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hasselbeck should retire.

Arizona Cards released QB Matt Leinart, after a less than stellar NFL career (since leaving USC 5 years ago). Heard that the Houston Texans cut a one-year probationary deal with him. If he once again fumbles his career, the Seahawks could pick him up cheap.

When he was under Peter Carroll, he was one of the best NCAA QBs in the nation, winning the Heisman and BCS championship victory. Carroll has coached him to success, where others could not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Hasselbeck is done anyway. He genuinely looks like a QB who has so little confidence in those in front of him, that he slings the ball out of there as quick as possible to avoid getting the monster hit that will end his career. It's sad to see, because he still makes some good plays and with better protection considering the amount of injuries he's had, he could be a serviceable and productive Quarterback for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I think Carroll will do a decent job but the trade for Lynch was a waste imo. They didn't give up much but the guy is a waster and someone i just wouldn't want on my roster. I thought when he came back from injury he'd take the league by storm but it's pretty clear his work ethic is awful. He shows so little patience with the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

To be honest I'm happy enough with the way things have gone so far this season. It was always going to be a rebuilding year and we've got six wins so far, more than last season or the year before. Added to that we are right in the thick of an exciting divisonal race which we have a great chance of winning.
    The fact that we might get into the playoffs because the West is terrible does not bother me one iota. We all know that the playoffs are like a brand new season and anything can happen.
    I wasn't expecting a lot this season so to be honest I'm just enjoying the ride! And compared to the last two seasons aren't Seahawks fans entitled to enjoy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Interesting point about Leinart. Would love to see how he could do under his former coach in the NFL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Doesn't always work - witness Danny Wuerfell - but might be worth a shot and he does love guys he had in college

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Jeremy Bates fired today. Josh McDaniels anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Wow. Fair bit of backroom activity in the last few weeks.

Cable in as Assistant HC/OL Coach

Darrell Bevell in as OC

Todd Wash in as DL Coach

Kris Richard promoted to db/cb coach

Rocky Seto to db/s coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Cable is a good move, an excellent offensive line coach

Advertisement