Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Sherlock's team search for 2011

Options
  • 25-12-2010 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

http://twitter.com/#!/Pro_Cycling/status/18566906281730048

Any predictions where RS will end up for 2011?

2011 21 votes

Pro Tour Team
    0%
    Pro Continental Team
    0%
    UK Pro Team
    9%
    Stokolanbiomed32 2 votes
    Continental "other" team
    38%
    ShevYbayer manBryanLmacken04billy.fishcormpatfran oconnor 8 votes
    Irish Club/Team
    28%
    dave2pvdsySlideshowbobRobFowlfran oconnoramjon. 6 votes
    Unsponsored/unattached
    23%
    moranabayer manDura Aceabbeyside1 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Junior

Bit late in the season to be searching for a team isn't it. Things are moving up for the An Post team like, invites to Tour of Qatar and Oman. Would be an obvious step.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Maybe the man himself might post here and let us know...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Irish Club/Team
    It's a bit different mentioning wattage output to entice a team alright

An Post seem to have roster sorted

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Irish Club/Team
    An Post have a potential vacancy now that Connor McConvey has decided to take time out from cycling...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Unsponsored/unattached
    best of luck to him no matter where he ends up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Ryan is an amazing cyclist and a hell of a climber. I hope he gets what he wants. He definitely has the talent to race and win abroad, especially where climbing is involved.
    Best of luck Ryan.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not wanting to influence where he ends up, I'll wait until the man himself votes before casting mine;)

Best of luck with this Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 4 yer man

Unsponsored/unattached
    Ryan has talent but he has to prove himself and get results. Talk of watts means nothing unless u can back it up with results. That usually means UCI races/pts or kermesses in Europe.
    Uk teams might take a punt on him, dont know if an post would give him a contract just yet. Teams are very careful to bring in people who they know will contribute and gel into the team. I don't know Ryan and what he is like but as he is new to road neither do most managers so they may be slow to jump. They are gonna want to be sure he will get along with everyone, be able to put aside your own ambitions and work hard for the #1 rider. Either UK scene or Kermesses in belgium would be a good place to start. The style of racing may not be to his liking but it gets you in teh shop window for the Pro Conti n next rung in teh ladder. U need to get results there if u will ever make big time pro. Staying in Ireland he has little to gain ...

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

Irish Club/Team
    After reading that article two things are apparent: he has a pretty exceptional power output and he is probably willing to ride for free or next to nothing. He might not get called by a pro continental team due to lack of results(distinct from the ability to get them) but there's nothing stopping him renting a room in Belgium and racing for a club over there.
    What about Adam Armstrong? He was pretty prolific last year, has he made the step up to the UK or continent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Thought id bump this !!

Anything stirring ?

• Advertisement

According to his online tales, Ryan has been training in the sunshine all winter and, he's going to kick some serious arse this year. I hope for all of you guys, he gets to race abroad ;)
    If he doesn't go pro, his wife certainly will.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Good luck to him whatever he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Best of luck to him, but I can't figure why so many people think he can get on a semi-pro team.
    What did he win?
    Where was he in the national champs?
    Etc Etc
    There must be loads of domestic riders with better results.
    Maybe if he spends another year consolidating his progress and consistently produces some impressive results in road races ....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Irish Club/Team
    Best of luck to him, but I can't figure why so many people think he can get on a semi-pro team.
    What did he win?
    Where was he in the national champs?
    Etc Etc
    There must be loads of domestic riders with better results.
    Maybe if he spends another year consolidating his progress and consistently produces some impressive results in road races ....

1st in both the MTB and Hill climb champs

No one on a county team did better in the RAS

And he has finished 17th in the MTB marathon Worlds.

Cadel Evans came direct into pro racing from MTB as well and he's not done too badly :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Thanks for the best wishes guys - things have been going really well over the winter and it looks like I may have something for the year - not confirmed so I say nothing.

It is always easy for Irish folk to not notice what goes on abroad but follow the Irish scene closely. I got so much kudos for the county rider in the RAS but other International rides I did (on the MTB though) go largely unnoticed even in the MTB relm. For instance, Mel was beating World Champions on the MTB and it went unheard of.

If better results in Irish races are to be looked at, then yeah - tons of riders have won more races - but that really isn't the point - small pond, almost all flat etc... Look at Conor McConvey for instance - how many Irish road races did he win before going full time Pro to AnPost? anyone got any doubt in his abilities? There is more to Irish cycling than irishcycling.com

There are actually a huge amount of Irish riders in the Pro/Semi-pro euro scene that we have never really heard much of. There is a lot of noise around guys like Sam and Philip, but there is a lot more to it than that thankfully :)

Just another thing - National RR Champs I missed because I was representing Ireland in the European MTB Marathon Championships (the hill climb champs I won). I have my eyes firmly focused on Nationals this year in my home county.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Thanks for the reply Ryan. Will you let us know what the story is whenever you can confirm it?

No comparison - e.g Cadel Evans won the World Cup for two years.

And I think being the best County Rider in the Ras isn't going to impress any pro manager - the is 'a best County Rider' every year on the Ras and they don't all get on semi-pro teams.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to knock the guy. He probably has plenty of potential on the road but he has no real results.
    I hope I'm wrong and that he does get what he wants though .... but I'd still like to see him performing on the domestic scene next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

The domestic scene is not tough enough for a certain type of rider. We had one race where you could argue the field and course where tough and that was the Shay Elliot.

Irish Club/Team
    No comparison - e.g Cadel Evans won the World Cup for two years.

And I think being the best County Rider in the Ras isn't going to impress any pro manager - the is 'a best County Rider' every year on the Ras and they don't all get on semi-pro teams.

Thats why Cadel went straight in at Protour/Div 1 level

And I was on the RAS last year and pro team managers were impressed.

Hey guys, all I'm saying is: 'no results' - period.

And if the races aren't tough enough here then he's got to go to wherever the races are tough enough and get results there.

Ryan, I see that you are keeping an eye and this thread and I feel uncomfortable talking about you 'behind your back'. I admire your blogs for their honesty and insight and I hope you can get to be as good as you can be, wherever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Well done Ryan !!!! will be great to try follow your results

mloc123 wrote: »

I so had guessed it! I was actually naming Giant to my OH a while back when this thread started.

All the best Ryan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I foresee one Specialized Tarmac for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭C3PO

Well done Ryan ... you'll be missed on the MTB scene but hopefully we'll see you for an occassional guest appearance ......?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Well done to Ryan.

I didn't realise Irvine and O'Loughlin were going there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Junior

el tonto wrote: »
    Well done to Ryan.

I didn't realise Irvine and O'Loughlin were going there too.

And McCann is there as well

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Junior wrote: »
    And McCann is there as well

He was there last year too.

Advertisement