Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap 35mm converter.

Options
  • 25-12-2010 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone knows a good place to get a 35mm converter on the cheap?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ciencin

you mean a 35mm adapter for your camera or a plug in for your NLE?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Was unaware such an effect could be added in editing. Either is good I suppose so as long as it gives the right professional film look.

I know there are lots of plug ins to make your footage look like 8mm (personally I didnt find any that would match the look of 8mm) but haven't heard of any for 35mm.

I suppose you can try messing around with the colour, adding shallow depth to make and making it progressive (if you shot it interlaced) to give that 35mm look, but if you shot your video on mini dv or handycams (whether they're sd or hd), you wont be able to get a convincing look.

Your best bet is to get a 35mm adapter for your camera, or a dslr that shoots video (eg Canon 7D, 550D, Nikon D90 etc). A DSLR are the more popular choice these days but they're very limited if you're planning on using them as a "video camera". They shoot progressive mode and have that shallow depth of field which will give you that film look you're looking for.

Personally I'd choose an adapter, even if its a diy one, as they're so much more fun :)

Any tips on making/buying one?

Sure. I'd recommend on buying a second hand adapter, as a lot parts that are needed to build one are hard to come across, and you'll end up spending a lot on shipping parts from oversees as its impossible to find anything in Ireland...

The price for adapters has came down a lot in the past year, and you'll be able to buy a full decent set up probably from around €300 (or much cheaper ones on ebay, that would be ok but quality wont be that great).

These would be the main ones to look for:
    - SGblade
    - Redrock M2
    - Letus mini & Letus Elite

This is what it looks like btw:
    http://www.derekkovacevic.com/photos/M2%20Encore.jpg
    From left to right:
    Your lens go on the left, the box with "M2" written on it is the actual adapter (inside there would a focusing screen and a little motor to make it spin), then there is the optional flip module (all 35mm adapter footage is filmed upside down, which is then flipped back to normal in post), and last thing on the right is the achromat.
    All of that is supported by the rails underneath to hold the weight (some light adapters can be supported without rails though).

This is my diy adapter based on the Redrock adapter which I'll be putting up for sale sometime in January. Great in low light, shallow d.o.f. and a fantastic investment overall.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ciencin/5297809892/

• Advertisement

Lol, I like yours better; it really makes the handycam look like a top notch film cam. Just show me some video samples of the quality and quote a price cheaper than the rest and I think I'd definitely be your first customer :)

I really appreciate the help here. I've been filming a long enough time but the home video look has always annoyed me.

Advertisement