Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Internet tv's

Options
  • 25-12-2010 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Was considering buying one of the new bravia internet enabled tv's in the sales but it seems what we get in Ireland is the short end of the stick. Basically we have no access to anything good ie: BBC iPlayer and 5OD etc which I presume are the biggest selling points as far as the UK is concerned anyway. To my astonishment you cannot even access RTE Player nor access via a browser so is there really a point in purchasing one of these tv's or just better off sticking to a regular LED ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I am aware that the Wii console has an internet channel allowing you to watch youtube etc.. . There is probably no point in purchasing this if your favourite channels are not on it. With the digital service already begun, you can just get a set top box to pick up RTE and a sat. box for your bbc. That would do many fine.

Not worth it for my use.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Bravia TV is a gimmic, having said that I do browse it a bit, SkyNews snippets are on it now as well as YouTube, watched an excellent 52minute FIFA best moments piece a few days ago...some good golf stuff too

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'm looking to buy a Sony smart tv, but I'm wondering about the wifi connectivity on these - is it possible to stream over my wireless broadband connection to the tv? If not, do I have to buy a dongle or how could it be done.

Does anyone know of another brand that does allow this if it isn't possible with the Sonys?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

deemark wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a Sony smart tv, but I'm wondering about the wifi connectivity on these - is it possible to stream over my wireless broadband connection to the tv? If not, do I have to buy a dongle or how could it be done.

Does anyone know of another brand that does allow this if it isn't possible with the Sonys?

As with all things Sony there are tiers to their sets. All their tv's are internet / streaming enabled with only some of their sets having WiFi. It's actualy more cost effective using an APN on the set than buying a WiFi dongle/ built in model.
    Music /pictures are good when streamed however the movie aspect I have yet tried.
    Their smart phone app is handy.

Sol

akaSol wrote: »
    As with all things Sony there are tiers to their sets. All their tv's are internet / streaming enabled with only some of their sets having WiFi. It's actualy more cost effective using an APN on the set than buying a WiFi dongle/ built in model.
    Music /pictures are good when streamed however the movie aspect I have yet tried.
    Their smart phone app is handy.

Sol

APN? :confused:Excuse the dumbass question and the next one - what does the app do?

I'm trying to minimise wires as I want it wall-mounted and the idea of streaming iplayer/rte player or other content from my laptop is v appealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

deemark wrote: »
    APN? :confused:Excuse the dumbass question and the next one - what does the app do?

I'm trying to minimise wires as I want it wall-mounted and the idea of streaming iplayer/rte player or other content from my laptop is v appealing.

None of which are possible with any set as far as I am aware. ( Licencing ) However they may appear as a widget in the future.
    "Streaming" is limited to pictures,music (eg media) not what is on your computers screen.

An Apn is used to extend the wireless range of an existing router, typically these have a RJ45 ( network port ) so you can plug them into the back of the set.

Sol

Ah! :o

Back to the hdmi cable again so......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Is Google tv incorporated in the new sony internet tv's and if so has anyone used one?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Lhotse

I have one of these sony internet tv's with wifi - they're excellent but the content is lacking in Ireland. The TV3, Sky News and Eurosport players are decent quality and I use them regularly. The other 15 or so channels are very poor though. The achilles' heel, as mentioned above, is that the RTE player does not appear automatically on the menu. No sign of google tv either. If anyone knows a fix for this it would be greatly appreciated. Sort it out Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I don't have a Sony TV but I do have a 2011 Sony Blu-Ray player, the S-480 which has a network port and as my UPC broadband router is right beside the TV, I have the Blu-Ray player plugged in to the router and can get all of the TV services mentioned on this thread - TV3, SKY, YouTube, Eurosport etc. However the absence of the RTE and BBC players is a pain.

The network connection means that it get the album artwork and track names from the internet when you insert an audio CD, similar to iTunes.

The Sony S580 costs a bit more, it has Wi-Fi but is otherwise identical to the S480.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

is it possible to use a proxy to get BBC iplayer?
    what contents are available as of now from bravia internet tv?

Advertisement