Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did RTE mention any other place than Dublin tonight?

Options
  • 24-12-2010 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Watching the six one news there, did they mention any other place than Dublin tonight on the news thats been affected by the weather and travel disruptions?

Thats apart from the North Europe bit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

Dublin is the capital city and the majority of people live there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

snaps wrote: »
    Watching the six one news there, did they mention any other place than Dublin tonight on the news thats been affected by the weather and travel disruptions?

Do places exist outside Dublin? I've hear stories all my life but I've never believed them!
    Joking, your right, they concentrated on Dublin Airport only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

there's another place besides dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

How many other counties had more than 2 foot of snow this week?

Luckily the snow only disrupted life for us Dubs and no non-Dubs were delayed
    travelling home from Dublin to their regional homes or via Dublin airport :rolleyes:

Supemacs should do a special ice burger to go with the chips some people
    have on their shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Gas, the rest of the country is suffering with -17c temps, with many people not having water, but didnt even have a mention.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Unforecasted snow as well, tut tut. Normally the only bit they get right is Dublin :D Maybe their new overlords in the IMF told them to concentrate on getting Cork right instead ???

Despite what you may think, your snowed in little hamlet in the middle of nowhere numbering a handful of people is not the center of the world. Either is Dublin mind you, but there are one or two million people there as well as it being a transport hub for the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 evolve

It's always the same ol' craic - rather than question why the national broadcaster is not providing national coverage we start snarling at each other! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭daithi2011

Yes they did. Watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

alentejo wrote: »

I think you'll find that the majority of people in this state and on this island actually live outside Dublin.

It would be nice it public-funded orgainisations like RTE spent more money on regional news rather than funding coke habits and making bogus claims that they have to overpay their wooden presenters incase they get poached.

The majority of licence payers do live outside Dublin afterall.

They spent more time raving about Santa and the North Pole than mentioning difficulties being faced by those around the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

well they sould come down to wicklow then they.l see snow, roads untreated even though the snow plough drives about and the gritter lorry ,but never see them doing anything and yeah yesterday when we were gritting are own hill there was a guy in a jcb drinking coffee while we were shoveling grit in to the back of a low loader, council workers my ass just as bad as rte free easy money for doing sod all ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

patwicklow wrote: »
    well they sould come down to wicklow then they..
    They were, last night reported from Wicklow town. You know why there were no regional reports tonight, because all their regional reporters have gone home........to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Yeh, shame on RTE. If only they warned people outside Dublin about the snow then that genius would not have got stuck up that Kerry mountain?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

snow ghost wrote: »
    It would be nice it public-funded orgainisations like RTE spent more money on regional news

The problem with that is RTÉ would need to raise licence fees to provide such a service.
    However, I agree with your point about overpaying dummies who no other TV/radio station would even be interested in employing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In fairness on Christmas Eve, they're going to be on a skeleton staff and the biggest story of the day was without question the problems at Dublin airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Lads face facts. You are a nobody if you live outside Dublin.
    Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

alentejo wrote: »

According to the 2006 National Census 1,187,176 people, about 25% of the State's population, live in Dublin & County combined. A far cry from a majority.

In fairness on Christmas Eve, they're going to be on a skeleton staff and the biggest story of the day was without question the problems at Dublin airport.

Nonsense.

The main story of the day was the record breaking low temperatures and the major adverse impact they were having around the country.

Where I live half of the town are without water due to burst pipes - and I'm next to the Atlantic, so temps were not half as bad as they were inland. At the moment its -9.3c. That half of the town probably constitutes more people than those who missed flights at Dublin airport.

What was the RTE 9 O'clock new's lead story? An interview with a family that couldn't get their holiday flight for their Christmas break to Orlando. journalism at its worst - laziness, a disgraceful waste of public funding.

When this cold spell broke, it was never the main rte news story until it hit Dublin.

Capitral city bias is something most countries have to tolerate - lazy journalism and wasting public funding is something Ireland exceeds all expectations at.

RTE news are a disgrace - hopefully all will change utterly in coming years.

I wont be paying my licence fee next year in protest, these wasters need to realise - like the nationalised banks - who their bosses are and who pays their wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Right so your village is cold, that's not news. It's been cold for the last fortnight.

The tens of thousands of people stranded in airports throughout Europe meaning they won't be able to get home to their families for the biggest family event of the year is.

Right so your village is cold, that's not news. It's been cold for the last fortnight.

The tens of thousands of people stranded in airports throughout Europe meaning they won't be able to get home to their families for the biggest family event of the year is.

I said I live in a town, not a village, and we were talking Dublin airport not European airports.

What is happening in my town - is happening all around the country in similar towns. It is news, it would be news to credible journalists - its not news to a lazy wasteful public news organisation that serves its self before the public interest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I think you'll find that the majority of people in this state and on this island actually live outside Dublin.

It would be nice it public-funded orgainisations like RTE spent more money on regional news rather than funding coke habits and making bogus claims that they have to overpay their wooden presenters incase they get poached.

The majority of licence payers do live outside Dublin afterall.

They spent more time raving about Santa and the North Pole than mentioning difficulties being faced by those around the country.

Top post Snow Ghost.

RTE and the 'national' media in general have really made me sick this last week to be honest. It snowed in most parts of the country, no more than a passing news item, it snows in Dublin, it becomes a national crisis. I don't blame the Dubs for this at all, as other's have said in other threads the snow only becomes profound when it falls in the posh belts of Dublin.

Maybe we should stop paying out TV licence? Maybe RTE might get the message then?

Top post Snow Ghost.

RTE and the 'national' media in general have really made me sick this last week to be honest. It snowed in most parts of the country, no more than a passing news item, it snows in Dublin, it becomes a national crisis. I don't blame the Dubs for this at all, as other's have said in other threads the snow only becomes profound when it falls in the posh belts of Dublin.

Maybe we should stop paying out TV licence? Maybe RTE might get the message then?

Couldn't agree more Deep. I've been reading your reports of the low temps in your town and temps haven't been half as cold here, but basically every other person I know here is without water at the moment. I presume similar things are happening in your town?

No mention of that on the news. No mention of the many farmers around the country who can't water their cattle, the shops running out of bottled water, old people having to fill their tanks up with buckets of their neighbours' water so they can turn their heating on, etc, etc, etc.

I wont be paying my licence fee next year, until they change their ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Same thing happens in most smallish countries. Everyone outside London thinks London gets too much media attention and i'm sure its the same in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Couldn't agree more Deep. I've been reading your reports of the low temps in your town and temps haven't been half as cold here, but basically every other person I know here is without water at the moment. I presume similar things are happening in your town?

No mention of that on the news. No mention of the many farmers around the country who can't water their cattle, the shops running out of bottled water, old people having to fill their tanks up with buckets of their neighbours' water so they can turn their heating on, etc, etc, etc.

I wont be paying my licence fee next year, until they change their ways.

We have been relatively lucky here SG regarding water, at least in this part of town but out hardly any running water to be had out the country. Even parts of Galway city are without as we speak. Not good for Christmas, but as you say, this is not considered worthy enough to be national news item. The problem with RTE is they are concerned too much with how the country is preceived from the outside, rather than giving a ****e about what happens behind the State's closed doors. I really feel for those people who had their flights delayed due to the weather but many many people are suffering in the country because of it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

they ran out of After 8's in my local shop. Did not get even a passing mention on the news. There are riots in the streets from mint chocolate deprived young ones.

Small example of how people around the country are being affected:

• My neighbours' pipes burst last night resulting in part of the ceiling collapsing forcing this family to move out of their home for Christmas.
    • My parents in law have no running water.
    • Wastewater pipes in another neighbour's home have frozen meaning they cannot use toilets, sinks etc.
    • A young girl was treated for hypothermia today after falling into lake while 'ice skating'. The dangers of such carry on are immense and should be highlighted more
    • There are tens of thousands of kilometres of road network around Ireland left untreated because we did not learn our lesson from Jan 2010.
    • Shannon, Cork, Knock, Kerry, Sligo, Donegal welcomed home thousands of people for Christmas, many of these were diverted from Dublin.
    • As MT pointed out, the thaw is likely to bring some serious flooding in places in the coming days

Ultimately, RTE are down to a skeleton staff. This is a decision that has come down from the higher echelons of RTE. Would not blame the editorial staff as RTE News are endlessly better than most other news teams I have ever come across both here and in the UK.

Happy Christmas Everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Senna wrote: »
    Same thing happens in most smallish countries. Everyone outside London thinks London gets too much media attention and i'm sure its the same in other countries.

I dont get you... the UK have regional TV News, we dont?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Senna wrote: »

Completely wrong, The UK has regional TV stations eg, ITV London/BBC London for the regional news, Yes Heathrow got a lot of coverage, but then it would world wide as its one of the biggest and busiest passenger airports in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

The radio and TV businesses have changed so much in the last two decades that RTE in its present form is no longer needed.

All it is needed for now is

1. To run a common country wide broadcast network ( a job similar to what ESB Networks does - indeed ESB Networks would seem well placed to run such a network.

2. Broadcast state propaganda - a job better suited to the defence forces

About time it was closed up.

Happy Christmas to you all

0lddog

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

In many parts of the country 1 in 4 households have no water and are praying for the thaw. Lets see whether RTE care about them on this evenings news??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement