Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for new motor

Options
  • 24-12-2010 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking to purchase a new motor soon, but I am completely undecided.

I want to purchase a deisel, but I am not too sure what to settle for. I was looking at the 2007 Kia Sportage. What is the MPG on that one, does anybody know? The 2l model.

I was also looking at a VW Bora, Audi A4 and the Seat Leon (Petrol model). Yes I know, completely different cars :P

The MPG would be an important factor.

Driving a 1.4 2001 ford focus at the moment, quite happy with it but it's time I upgraded.

Any advice is appretiated. Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you like the sportage, thn look at the Hyundai Tucson. PArticularly the 130 bhp deluxe model. HAs leather and loads of extras. You'll know it as its the only one to get colour coded bumpers.

What's your budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Oh sorry, thought I put that in the OP.

Budget is about 10K plus whatever I get for the focus, which won't be much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Focus 1.8 diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

I drove a 2008 kia rio saloon 1.6 desiel for 3 weeks a few months back as a rental
    Its about your buget and its a top car.
    The power the thing has on hills is awesome.
    You literley leave beamers ,audis etc for dead at traffic lights.
    Massive low end torque.
    Only mentioning it as i was generally taken back by the car.
    Didn't want to leave it back and would happily have purchased one if i could of added 5k to my then budget.
    Test drive one if you can.
    Anyone here own one?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Would you consider a X-Type Jag?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Jaguar/X-Type/2.0-D-S/201041199879421/advert?channel=CARS&featuredListingClickThru=true

I know people will call them a Mondeo with a shiny badge and some people will say that there a bit unreliable but I drove one for a couple of weeks a while back and loved it. Thought the torque was great!

Something else that would fit the bill is a 08 Alfa....

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/159/1.8-TURI/201042199975830/advert?channel=CARS

Again I've driven a few Alfa's including the 159 and there lovely cars to drive. If residual sales value isn't an issue with you and you're willing to look after it like a baby then the Alfa is well worth looking at.

And finally....

I'm not a Skoda fan at all hate the things, but in fairness an Octavia would probably be right up your street for what you're looking for.

At a stretch you'd be able to pick up a nice 09 1.9 TDI (I'm being very positive here!!)

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Octavia/1.9-TDI-/201040199781893/advert?channel=CARS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Hope you don't miss that Focus. I had one and while I alway thought them a bit ordinary and common, boy did I miss it when I moved to a merc c220 . Focus is probably one of the most reliable and comfortable designs around, great vision etc. In short have a look at one of the top of the range focus diesels , before you buy.:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I drove a 2008 kia rio saloon 1.6 desiel for 3 weeks a few months back as a rental
    Its about your buget and its a top car.
    The power the thing has on hills is awesome.
    Massive low end torque.
    Only mentioning it as i was generally taken back by the car.
    Didn't want to leave it back and would happily have purchased one if i could of added 5k to my then budget.
    Test drive one if you can.
    Anyone here own one?

I've never driven a Rio and this will probably sound like TG-style snobbery but...you're talking about this.:eek:...

I wouldn't replace a Focus with that, no way. Mazda 3/Focus or - for a bit more class - a Volvo S40??

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

I partly agree with you . An S40 or a mazda 3 are better looking cars but i've never driven them so its hard to compare.
    Id imagine that they'd be more expensive because of the badges alone.
    But after driving a rio i'd buy one myself as i don't imagine any other comfortable car in its class out performing it . Its a beast to drive and if it were a volvo it would be a best seller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Massive low end torque.

Audi A2s and BMW316' I have no doubt you'd leave for dead.
    You can forget the rest though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Don't touch a petrol Leon if you want economy. Even the smallest ones for your budget are woeful.

If you're happy with the Focus you could do a lot worse than going with the same again. It's just one of those cars that's very easy to find a good example of. Loads for sale and loads of choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you like the sportage, thn look at the Hyundai Tucson. PArticularly the 130 bhp deluxe model. HAs leather and loads of extras. You'll know it as its the only one to get colour coded bumpers.

What's your budget?

The Tuscon is a terrible thing to drive Colm imo. Its very wallowey on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭andrew cross

i drive a kia ceed 1.6 diesel, 156 tax a year it has a turbo abs around 53 mpg, notlecominal as some diesels but i might be a bit heavy with the boot, it would leave any petrol car behind, most suv or crossovers are heavy on fuel, with diesel get one with a turbo ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

, it would leave any petrol car behind

Are Kia 1.6 diesel drivers the new VAG 1.9tdi drivers?

jesus! talk about dreaming.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

You Kia trolls are good, I'll give you that... you even sound like you mean it!

Advertisement