Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving long distance Christmas - New Year

Options
  • 24-12-2010 5:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Many people will do a long haul sometime between the 26th and the 3rd Jan.

Driving conditions will be trying, in many inland areas there will be a scrim of cold water hiding deep dark packed ice underneath. Very dangerous.

In other cases a clear motorway will get a heavy shower that washes the salt off....and the formerly clear road then freezes hard overnight.

Councils will stand a lot of staff down, particularly on bank holidays, even if they have salt. The last guidance from the NRA was to salt National routes not Regional or Local Roads.

Basically this will be a dangerous and rather trying period.

This thread is for anybody who has to drive long distance in these circumstances to check against and for those who have driven to report the conditions they encountered.....and where.

Be careful out there. This icepack will not melt off the roads until around the new year.....and then only if the thaw holds that long.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

Good idea.

Just wondering has anyone done the Dublin->Cork route today?

Any areas to watch out for MORE than the others? How long did it take you (if by car)?

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hirlam 850.

In a nutshell yellow or blue means a frontal system could or even should fall as snow, orange means as rain but possibly freezing on landing unless rather a lot of it continually falls in the orange areas.

140812.JPG

Rather dangerous driving conditions but arguably less so under snow than rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

Well my inlaws will be driving back from Athlone via the ferry at Rosslare on the 30th so I will be watching this thread. Their journey over was horrendous and they've been living with no heating since they arrived. Think they will be glad to be back, considering we've had much milder temps in the last week than you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Anyone able to tell me what the roads are like between athlone and birr?
    I'm thinking the motorway from Galway to athlone should be ok, so if anyone has any local reports on the conditions from there on it would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I will be going along the n4/m4 , if anybody can let me know what roads are like, thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement